ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A bouncing flag!

I have just had a run in RM577 of about 20 miles. After about 10 miles of steady dual-carriageway driving at 38mph with no braking, the stop flag came down momentarily then disappeared. It continued to "bounce" like this for the rest of the journey.

Exactly the same thing happened on the return trip. The brakes were fine.

Today I charged the accumulators, but both were nearly full, so that would appear not to be the problem.

A micro-switch somewhere? A dodgy contact? Where to start looking?

My bus number (if any): RM577

Re: A bouncing flag!

John,

Hopefully I can point you in the right direction. Did you charge the accumulators yourself or did you get someone else to do it? Also it's very important that there's a procedure followed.

Feel free to give me a call -

07534 904650

Martin

My bus number (if any): RML2583

As Martin d says, unless you follow the procedure correctly you "think" the accus have been charged when in reality they haven't. It's unlikely to be a defective microswitch though anything's possible.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Consult the charts, connect the gauges and all will be revealed. Commonly front system Non-return valve not sealing. There are simpler checks to carry out and these should be done first.

An in-line non return valve should have been fitted in the pipe from the pump to the cut-out valve to prevent this. If in-situ don't get this the wrong way round.

Maybe no help at all but I have had a similar problem recently.

Fault has been traced to both accumulators sticking.

Tom.

My bus number (if any): RML2344

One of the common problems with RMs that aren't used very often! Sometimes drain the system of brake pressue by pumping the footbrake about 50 times and recharge the system by building up pressure a few times by running the engine.

My bus number (if any): RML2532