ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
High Visibility for fast roads.

In response to Chris's request for a thread on this subject.

For about £25 one can obtain a reflective/flourescent marker board to the same dimensions as those fitted to the rear of articulated heavy goods vehicles. This reads SLOW VEHICLE.

These are to be seen on farm trailers and are becoming more popular on preserved HGV. The message is quite clear to following idiots; something which nothing other than a flashing light can emulate.

These boards can be fitted, temporarily, relatively easily into the platform window, or the upstairs emergency window with suckers or some other means, making them instantly removable.

Using one of these allied to running with all the interior and blind lights on seems to me the cheapest way to continue.

Re: High Visibility for fast roads.

All our vehicles are now delivered and now retrofitted fitted with LED sidelights and indicators and light adjusting tail lights.
They are 24v and 12 v and fit the original mountings.
Our current supplier is Ring and they carry a web based catalogue.

They are a very big improvement. Minimal battery drain, high reliability and hugely improved visibility.

RMs have a larger mount than is now used so that is a bit of a problem . But a simple adapter would be a cheap solution ( They were around for a few years during transition to an EU standard size)
We have tried and fitted 2 RMs,2 RTs and an RF with them and they fit fine and do make the rear much better. We also wired the 3 red lights on one RM as three stop tails which also makes a significant safety improvement. The small Led allowed this and retains the reflector area function of the original lens.

LEDs are legal on Trucks Coaches and buses for marker lights, indicators and side and tail lights but strangely, not yet legal on cars even though several now have them as factory standard.

I fitted tail, reverse and rear indicator led's to a Peterbilt around 5 years ago but strangely they were not approved for rear fog lamps at that time.

My bus number (if any): RML2276 M1001 T806

Interesting. I did look around for LED lamps but of course due to the bayonet fitting size, was unsuccesfull. If anyone can find or is looking at having LED lamps made I would be interested. Tail, Stop and front sidelights would be usefull, providing that they are reasonably waterproof- not due so much to water ingress caused by gasket failure- more from condensation.

The RMs in Canada (think it was the double deck tours ones) have replacement round tail lamps, very bright, but sadly not as stylish as the original units. Many of the US style ambulances over here have the same round units. If the original light unit can be retained, but with new innards, that would be much better.

Many owners will not want the new lamps at any cost as anything "non OE" would be sacrilidge, equally many do not venture out after dark....but think of gloomy wet winter days- anything which makes a bright red bus even more visible(!) to some road users has got to be a safe and sensible upgrade.

My bus number (if any): RM531

We have no choice about rear lights, we have to have the Hi-Vi reflective boards, 60 80 speed stickers and stop and tail lights at the extremes of the bus and small red lights on the rear corner and platform edge ,we can use the original indicator arrows though. Given our use on mainly unlit motorways and main roads it would be foolish to only use the 1940s idea of one rear light. Jack's idea of using all three lights on an RM as stop/tail sounds good and with LED fittings would certainly combine historical accuracy with modern safety awareness

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

I'm still wondering whether or not to modify my GS rear lamp! It still has the indicator arrows on the offside only, and was PSV certified like that in 1994.

Tillingbourne fitted orange indicator lamps on both sides, and a nearside tail light using a Morris Minor type sidelight fitting with a red lens. But maybe in the interest of safety, I may have to succumb!

BTW MLL738 is fetting modernised RF tail light clusters, far more in keeping.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

I believe that Lothian Buses fitted all their Routemasters with LED stop and tail lights a few years ago. The rear of RM371, now owned and operated by Ensignbus, is illustrated on page 135 of the new Haynes Routemaster Bus Enthusiasts' Manual. These lights appear to be a slightly larger diameter but would probably not offend too many people. If anyone from Ensignbus is reading this, perhaps they know of the supplier.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

The lights on this bus appear to be almost pink when on.

These are the same light units I was referring to, as fitted to most ambulances around here, and are identical to those fitted to the Canadian RMs. I will try to study them in detail.

My bus number (if any): RM531

I was thinking about something like this. It could be fitted behind the existing lens. I agree with Steve that weatherproofing them will be important.

I'd also be interested in the ambulance lights and hope Steve will be able to report back on these.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 & 2213. GS 17