ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Relevant info

I find this Forum useful for keeping me informed of matters mechanical and also any issue that effects the ownership etc of old vehicles. Can we not operate a system of announcements that are immediately locked from discussion? Possibly these would have to be emailed to the moderator and posted by him only.

If this sort of information is not allowed, then items hidden in the Budget or proposed legislation fall into the category of banned subject.

Both the previously locked threads have developed into an argument over whether they they should be allowed, rather than what is really needed; just details of from where further information can be gleaned and that is all.

Re: Relevant info

I agree entirely here. The information on both posts were more than valid from the perspective of preservation and beyond and did not have a political bias slant.
Interestingly, those who objected were also those who did display a political opinion or seemed to want to antagonise.

Had they not it would have remained a sensible highlighting of an issue and option that affects all associated with preservation projects be it bus oriented or railways, aviation and so on.

At the same time, good rational discussion and points were raised and if they are relevant then that's informative to some if not all of us.

Gone are the days in this country where you could just get on and do what you like.
It seems now that interference comes from all angles, be it officialdom or businesses wanting ways of charging you more for less.

One London Borough now fines you if you self service your car in your street and encourages neighbours to report you. Nice.

Often this stuff gets passed through simply because no-one flagged it up.
And this trend of sliding stuff through the back door has become more common.

So it is important that we do know what is being planned or legislated and that our voices are heard either individually or collectively.

So maybe better to just remove opinions or inputs that become personal or too political but keep the information about what's going on flowing.

Both of you have made very valid comments and I thank you for your Surport ! I'm inclined to agree with you Jack about who the antagonisers are and I strongly belive they have their own hidden adgenders. All I will say is that to have deleated the thread would seem that the opinion is to surport the crime of metal theft and that is how I interperate the atagonists views. To have locked the thread and allowed it to still be viewed so as to gain the relevant link to what I consider a very useful bit of info' has been the best form of compremise that could be taken to steem further argumentive discussion taking place.

My bus number (if any): was RM196 sort of

For the record I do not believe my post contained any political views, hidden agendas and I certainly do not support metal theft nor any other theft and take strong exception to the insinuations.

Either posts containing government petitions- ie to change policy- are welcome or they are not. Regardless of the worthiness of the cause or the colour of government, which is irrelevant. I did not set out to make mischief, I asked if this post was allowed, based on the outcome of the last situation.

Chris has locked the post which is the right decision.

My bus number (if any): RM531

roy
Snipped I find this Forum useful for keeping me informed of matters mechanical and also any issue that effects the ownership etc of old vehicles.

Apologies to those that already ae members, but rather than use the hit and miss means of a Forum for keeping up to date with rules and legislation that affects preserved buses, why not subscribe to the Friends of Classic London Buses newsletter? At only £5 a year for E mail copies it contains all the relevant news on legislation from THE FEDERATION OF BRITISH HISTORIC VEHICLE CLUBS Membership enquiries and subscriptions (but not Newsletter material) to:
David Thrower, 49 Ackers Road, Stockton Heath, Warrington, Cheshire WA4 2DZ, e-mail to david.throwerwarrington@ntlworld.com
Subscription rates: Paper copies, U.K. £16 per annum, overseas £21 per annum. E-mail copies anywhere £5 per annum;

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

And for motoring matters such as private parking tickets, help with speeding tickets (wot in a Routemaster?), government policy etc, try www.pepipoo.co.uk. there's several fora on there including a flame pit where anything else goes.

I'm a regular contributor there under the same name.

My bus number (if any): RML2532