ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Herzim Strip

What is Herzim strip I hear you asking..it's the aluminium beading that goes round the top of the windows inside early RMs and is used on a myriad of other buses like the 4RF4 and coaches as exterior trim.

I've managed to source a supply of this rather elusive material; recent mouldings have been available but in metric rather than imperial sizes. Hopefully what I've found will be 2the business".

It's available in polished or milled finish. don't know prices yet, and it's available in 1" and 1 1/4" (for RM) wide.

I have a stock of maroon filler if anyone needs any.

It may be the same source can provide the very narrow herzim strip for the interior bulkhead panels for those who have them missing.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

Re: Herzim Strip

I would be interested in the narrow herzim strip for the interior bulkhead panels.

If you have any more details that would be good.

Many thanks,
Tom

My bus number (if any): RML2344

I need to know what width it is, I don't have a sample of that one.

I'll see what I can do.

I'll get back to you.

Hi,

1.5 cm wide.

Tom

I've now had the samples of the strip available. apparently the gentleman bought the moulds from the original Herzim makers at Park Royal many years ago, and the stuff is spot-on for the 4RF4 mouldings, imperial size too.

He shows the narrow stuff in the catalogue but has none in stock. The minimum order is for 100kg, which is quite a lot of interior trim! It comes in 12' lengths. so, if anyone wants to punt order for 100kg worth, then he will make some.

He has in stock the 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" wide stuff for RM interior ceiling panels where they meet the sides in polished or plain ali, about £25 a length. the narrow one is a bit cheaper.

Given that the entire herzim used in an RMC weighs in at less than 700g, I estimate that 100kg would have done the entire fleet!

I've just spent a while restoring a set of these which were none to good. New would have been easier, but I have never seen any new strips.
I did get the entire round the decks strips polished some years ago and they looked (and still do) fantastic especially with new inlays. Makes a huge difference but often these very small bits of detail do just this.

Will he reduce the minimum order...or can anyone think of other uses for it?

Herzim Strip

I'm looking for 10 metres of Herzim strip for RM238, and the maroon coloured PVC insert for it.

The aluminium extrusion is 1 and a 1/4" (32mm) wide and the PVC insert is 3/8" (9mm) wide.

I've tried several caravan places but without success. Any ideas?

Cheers.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS1 7

Chris
Myself and a friend have had a load of this 32mm section made over the last year or so for ongoing and future projects - all non Routemaster!
Contact Dennis Wright who trades as Metal Mouldings. Units 2-3, 3 Guild Road, Bromsgrove, Worc B60 2BY mobile 07534 454269, fax 01527 592784 email denniswright717@btinternet.com

It did take a while for it to be made and i understand its now only a small business. It can take a few attempts to get through to Dennis as he isn@t always there and had at the time other ongoing issues keeping him away from work and the job.
He may need a minimum run and wait until he has enough orders to do so.

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of

Re: Herzim Strip, now for the awkward bit

Chris
I'm looking for 10 metres of Herzim strip for RM238, and the maroon coloured PVC insert for it.

The aluminium extrusion is 1 and a 1/4" (32mm) wide and the PVC insert is 3/8" (9mm) wide.

I've tried several caravan places but without success. Any ideas?

Cheers.

RM967 is needing maroon coloured PVC insert for it's offside Herzim strip at the bench seat above the rectangular advertising bulkhead, and here is the tricky part, it also needs insert for the arched nearside Herzim strip at the Lover's seat on the upper saloon, Sam Phipps also has this arched insert missing from his RM875.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Ireland

Dennis is indeed the man for Herzim strip. I haver a lot of maroon filler left over from RFW14!

Dennis does 2 finishes of Herzim, polished and brushed. RMs need the polished type, BEA 4RF4 uses brushed type.