ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AEC Engine Mountings

On this cold morning, I thought it would be a good idea to keep warm, and sort out the AEC engine mountings that I have it the shed, but I am getting more confused.
Not being an LT man, there seems to be different types.
I have engine mountings with full rubber and some with half rubber, some have no dots of paint, others have either, red, blue, or yellow dots.
Can someone explain what these dots mean, I am guessing different hardness compounds of rubber.
Thanks

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM2112 Keeping the scrap yards clear of Routemasters

Re: AEC Engine Mountings

Hello Rob,
I know you have had contact with Ted Price recently re BEA vehicles and it would be best if I said no more, than to ask you to get in touch with him tomorrow re these mountings. The information you have given already could be very useful.

Full rubbers go at the top, half rubbers are rebound rubbers and go at the bottom.

RFs and RTs have full rubbers top and bottom for some reason.

Assuming you're talking about the rear rubbers?

As for the dots, dunno, presumably colour-coded for LT mechanics? A bit like RT/RF brake linings, as Lionel Moss explained, blue to the sky, green to the ground. Simples.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

I'm not too sure either, It was true about the brake linings being blue for the top.
I think there were mountings for 590 , 690 and Leyland 0600 and they required different stiffening.
This must be somewhere in the CRS bulletins which some must have.

Here are some photo's Iv'e taken, I think the descriptions are correct, please correct me if wrong.

Rear upper AEC engine mount blue dot

AEC Rear upper engine mount blue dot

Rear lower AEC engine mount blue dot

AEC Rear lower engine mount blue dot
Rear Lower AEC engine mount no dot

AEC Rear lower engine mount no dot

Front AEC Engine Mount yellow dot
AEC front engine mount yellow dot

Rear upper AEC engine mount red dotAEC Rear upper engine mount red dot

Rear ARC engine mount Pattern

AEC Rear engine mount Pattern

Regards

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM2112

Pic 1 and 5 appear to show the same item; why the mount shown in pic 5 has a hole in the top I don't know.

Rob, can you email me your address as I still need window rubber.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

Hi Bob, not been on for a while and just saw the article on engine mounting rubbers, need a set for RM 66 wot sort of price are we talking ??

My bus number (if any): RM 66 and RM 308

hi there I am looking for two front engine mounts for rml Routmaster any help would be great
thanks

My bus number (if any): RML

I have front engine mounts in stock, send me an email for details.

My bus number (if any): RML2532,GS67,MLL721,MLL738 and an RT.

roy can you send me your phone number and i will contact you asap
cheers

My bus number (if any): rml

looking for two front engine mounts for rml routemaster ...my phone number is ...07716176026

My bus number (if any): rml

James! Yopur RMl has an AEC engine? Are you sure? The RMLs were fitted with at least 3 types of engines after AEC, you have to say which engine it has or you won't get the correct mountings.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1486 and several RTs

James
looking for two front engine mounts for RML Routemaster ...my phone number is ...07716176026

What is the fleet-number of your RML James? My family used to own RML2271 which has a Cummins C engine, I have also driven others with Iveco, Scania and Cummins B Euro 2 units, the Euro 2s being of course also fitted with the Allison MT electronic gearbox and commonly referred to as 'Dartmasters'.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver/Restoration consultant)

Has anybody by any chance got a set of AEC rear engine mounts?

I enquired elsewhere and the outcome was that they can be reproduced with the minimum order being 10 sets. There were some uncertainties about the price though which I would still need to clarify.

My bus number (if any): RM98

PSV Partsmaster John Radley. Almost all RM mountings are in stock including these, no minimum purchase required. 01634 296970

John is on holiday so the office is shut down at the moment he returns AM 18/8.