ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM steering wheels

I took the steering wheel from our RMC for recoating at Nylospray yesterday. As far as I know this is the orginal type of wheel fitted from new. On one side of the wheel the plastic coating had separated badly so it was in need of recoating. When the plastic was pulled away from the rim we fould only a flat narrow steel band formed the rim, with no finger grooves, the grooves were moulded into the coating and came away with the plastic. I had a look at an RML later and that appeared to have a different sort of wheel with a much thicker centre. Has anyone had an original RM wheel recoated and if so how was it done? If it cannot be done were there replacement wheels fitted to the RMLs? As apart from having the whole rim remoulded which Nylospray cannot do, has anyone got a spare in good condition or know where a replacement wheels can be sourced? Thanks in advance.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Re: RM steering wheels

Brian, the Nylospray method isn't really suitable for RM steering wheels as I think it's based upon a hot plastic spray. I had the Steering Wheel on my Regent V refurbished by Myrtly Productions, based in Kent (tel 44 1843 844962). They use a different method and no doubt will be able to explain exactly what they do. The wheel was in a bad shape and the cost was nearly £300, so it's not cheap and event then a few minor cracks started to re-appear.

However I do have e a spare RM steering wheel of the original type that i'd be prepared to part with if that does help you out. I replaced it a few years ago with one of the later (chunkier) types which I much prefer.

My bus number (if any): RM1699 Eastbourne Regent V 69 (KHC369)

2 types fitted that I know of, the later were pressed steel with the grips pressed in the wheel and as you say, the other type were a fairly thin steel strip with a thick moulded cover. sorry I haven't got a decent spare.

with the later type, when tho coating wears off, you get cold hands; with the other type, you cut your fingers to bit as the plastic separates.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

Steven Wood
Brian, the Nylospray method isn't really suitable for RM steering wheels as I think it's based upon a hot plastic spray. I had the Steering Wheel on my Regent V refurbished by Myrtly Productions, based in Kent (tel 44 1843 844962). They use a different method and no doubt will be able to explain exactly what they do. The wheel was in a bad shape and the cost was nearly £300, so it's not cheap and event then a few minor cracks started to re-appear.

However I do have e a spare RM steering wheel of the original type that i'd be prepared to part with if that does help you out. I replaced it a few years ago with one of the later (chunkier) types which I much prefer.

Thanks Steve, tried Myrtle, price is indeed over £300 +VAT for a rebuild on the original wheel, quite a shock to our normal £35 or so for a recoated RT wheel!! If the wheel you have is in good condition I would be interested in it or if anyone has a spare new style one for sale, even if it needs recoating, I would be very interested, don't suppose any at PVS are any good? As I am laid up in the UK at the moment with a bad back I might be able to collect en route back to France.
Happy New Year to all the many contributors to this excellent forum

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585

It might be worth contacting several of the Army Surplus agents.
I went to one in Lincs about 2 years ago and saw an entire stillage of AEC steering wheels. 4 spar but I did not take a close look as we were on other business. I can't remember which company it was but it was near Grantham.

Most stuff is now GM/Bedford but still some of the older stuff lurks around and would not mind betting that several hundred exist somewhere as the Army used to replace the steering wheels at every overhaul as they often got damaged from other equipment bashing them.

Roy, that's Witham Military Vehicles, who now trade as 'MOD Sales' in Colsterworth.

My bus number (if any): rlh62

I see they have a website - http://www.mod-sales.com - some fascinating stuff! (see "Auctions") Wonder if they have any hi-tech batteries suitable for our buses?!

My bus number (if any): RML2302

I needed a replacement steering wheel because mine was breaking up and I considered £300 to refurb it was too expensive. I managed to source a brand new AEC steering wheel some time ago which I believed was made for a lorry. It cost a hell of a lot less than the refurbing and fitted perfectly. It has four spokes and looks pretty much identical to the RM wheels. The only difference is it has a deeper dishing onto the hub. This gives you a little more leg room underneath.

My bus number (if any): RM1001