ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Has anyone got......?

Happy Boxing Day!

Has anyone got a 3 foot strip of pyramid nosing (the lipped stair edge type) going spare that I can buy off you?

I'll pay all postage etc.

My bus number (if any): rlh62

Re: Has anyone got......?

Evening Jim,
I posted this a couple of years ago, I am sure they are still about.

Regards

Rob

I am now sorted out regarding Pyramid Nosing, For info this is where I bought it.

Lipped Pyramid Nosing,sold in 3mtr lengths, from F R Powell of Bristol, tel.. 0117 9717971. Cost £9.20 for a 3mtr length.

Non Lipped Pyramid Nosing, sold in 3mtr lengths, from F H Brundle, Rainham, Essex. tel.. 01708 253545. Cost £9.08 for a 3mtr length.

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM2112 Keeping the scrap yards clear of Routemasters

Hi Rob,

Both places still have pyramid nosing on their websites, but I only need one step's worth not the 9 ft lengths they both sell it in.

I will be buying a couple of strips of the unlipped stuff, as I do need a bit of that. Just got to work out how to get it to the US!

My bus number (if any): rlh62

Well ask them to cut the length into three bits.

Thanks to Brian Watkinson and Chris Stanley for helping me with this part of my RLH62 restoration project.

A note to persons buying from Brundle's is that the strip type pyramid nosing is slightly different from original LT stock. There is a small lip on the rear that will need grinding down. They also would not cut it down from their stock length for me (they delivered to Chris Stanley for a tenner). If you collect it from hey they may cut it.

I shall post some photos of the new stuff as installed upon the rebuilt platform in the near future.

My bus number (if any): RLH62

I have been watching this topic with interest. Looking forward to seeing any photos.

Tom

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Tom,

Thanks for the interest!

Here's an as purchased view of the platform. Not a lot left after sitting outside for a few years. The platform riser was shot too.

This one was taken on 20 February this year. This is the pyramid nosing being set up for fitting. Stanchion pole loosely positioned to get the spacing and positioning of the treads correct.

The new riser is installed, new panelling on the bulkhead bottoms to replace the corroded and buckled original, and a new stair riser installed on the third step in the staircase. This has rotted out on the bottom flanges where water had collected on the tread board. New ash framing is visible in this one too.

I'll take some more tomorrow of the current status. Other photos can be seen on my Flickr site

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8797479@N02/sets/72157627431950238/detail/

Jim

Taken this afternoon. All metalwork is in primer and will be top coated in the correct colours eventually.

Platform front completed apart from a few little tidy up jobs, new rear panel, refurbished staircase. Newly installed stair riser is the one with the two shades of paint test applied to it.

New top step with original one below. Original parts refurbished and used on the step.

Thank you for taking the time to upload these photos. There is some superb work being done there.

Just interested in how you got the curve in the nosing for the edge of the platform? I only ask as the bottom step nosing of an RM staircase has a curve in it.

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Curved nosing, lots of heat, a vice and a hammer, unless you've got access to a strip metal curving machine.

Some nice work being done there, well done.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

Hello,

Well it's been over a year since I posted any pics of my total restoration of RLH62, so here are a couple.

Since the last few photos I have done a fair bit, repanelling the rear and nearside to cantrail level amongst some of the larger jobs.

The N/S destination box was rebuilt, painted and rewired completely. All the bulbs in the photo are original LT marked from at least August 1969 when the bus was exported as a gift to Columbus, Ohio.

Last pic is taken in about 1970/71 on the 4th July at the Columbus bus garage. I have the little flag holders on my bench somewhere.

Thanks as always to my friends on here here for supporting me in my restoration project.