ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to bring Croydon to a stand still

Whilst trying to get to a private hire in central Croydon the other day our bus got lost around the impossible network of one way streets and we where forced to reverse out of a situation. Ordinarily this would not be a problem, however on this occasion we lost reverse gear half way through a turn and of course this had to be blocking the exit to the high street and the main tram network! So within 20 mins we had every team in croydon stuck behind us!

Anyway can anyone advice what the issue could be before I take it to my mechanics. At first reverse worked fine, then the gear box started squeezing like when you let down a balloon and then no movement at all. I'm aware that sometimes the box needs to warm up if cold to hele the create a seal but this time we lost forward gears as well! We had the gear box light come on after a few moments of being in reverse but no flag drop. Then we had intermitant forward gears which is how we eventually unwedged ourselves from the situation. Any ideas? Even with pressure still no movement.
Thanks inadvance

Re: How to bring Croydon to a stand still

Immediately after the red light goes out, there is still insufficient air pressure to operate the gears. Given a quiet environment, as it is far easier to locate an air leak than trace an electrical problem, investigations should eliminate this cause first.
The Flag is not connected to the air presure system so is irrelevant.

Sounds like the reverse gear piston seals have gone, making a noise like that, it happened to me a couple of years ago. By continually trying to engage a gear the air pressure has dropped bringing the red warning lamp on. The flag operates in the brake warning system, so will not drop under the gearbox conditions you describe.

My bus number (if any): RCL2250

Agreeing with roy there, it sounds very much like an air pressure problem. Are the compressor belts tight is the first place to look. Have you drained the air tank recently? Did you get reverse after revving up? Have you got reverse now?

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

Having got ourselves out of the situation with forward gears only we left the bus idling for at least 10 mins with occassional reving to no effect. We got reliable forward gears back, but they felt sluggish. Reverse started working again 30 Mins after traveling, but then packed up again. So it seams intermitant.

So it was you! I was one of those stuck on the tram a mile back. My first time on it as well !

You must have felt awful!

The announcement from the operator firmly put the blame on the road being blocked by a private vintage bus! I won't repeat the comments from passengers or the operators scorn but some matched the comments of the ranting racist of the Croydon tramways!

I am glad you are swiftly seeking advice and get the gear system sorted as these things happen. But when it comes to a bus on a private hire and the culture of fines to operators for delays etc. it makes for a situation to be avoided at all costs.

The problem with lots of private hires is that they take the bus down unsuitable streets or streets that the driver may not be familiar with..
My worry is that a few incidents like this will make TfL or VOSA act and make things difficult.
It's a shame that the AA and RAC do not do a emergency support for veteran vehicles.
There is an opportunity here for the london bus operators to offer a rescue package for small private operators at an affordable price.
I hope the problem gets solved.

This was my greatest concern above the clients being late. The prospect of a fine or some sort of legal action was most doughting. I spoke to a controller at a go ahead garage and he said tfl won't take action or fine for break down delays unless due to illegal action, its classed as non-conductable i think, but at the end of the day these things happen.

No they can't fine, it can happen to anyone, a car or a van. Can be a puncture or a double puncture or a locked up drive and of course accidents.
What won't be so easily excused will be driver error or repetitive incidents. Maybe the next generation sat nav will also take vehicle dimensions and know the no right and no left turns, width restrictions etc.

Obviously a bus, coach or truck is going to cause more chaos but it depends where.
Late last week on of John Lewis's brand new trucks failed in the middle of Hammersmith Broadway. 1.am. but caused delays because it was right in the middle of a 3 way diversion due to the flyover troubles.

The only problem is they (tfl or onother lot) could dream up a raft of reasons to make large vehicle operations with elderly vehicles difficult and this is where operators large and tiny must strive to ensure their charges are ultra reliable. At least if something happens then the vehicles records will prove it is a one off.

If it becomes a regular thing then it is a possibility (from rumblings amongst the big boys in the industry that something may happen.

I suppose this is where an association of RM operators and other classic operators ought to form a co-operative for on road help.

These things do indeed happen, and will continue to do so even with the best kept vehicles. I could tell you some stories about certain vehicles being in the wrong place in the middle of the night, not blocking a busy town centre but trying to turn around in a residential cul de sac. Needless to say it didn't take long before lights came on and faces appeared at windows, wondering why a ..... coach was in the road outside with the rear end in a front garden.
Only last year on a trip with 3 coaches to Manchester city centre, did the lead coach with satnav take the wrong turn and we ended up in a courtyard at the rear of private apartments, then something like 10 point turns to extricate ourselves. Only because it was 0700hrs were we able to avoid creating chaos. Even with large vehicle satnav it is wise not too rely on it completely. The worst scenario for me has been having 2 separate accidents happen on the way into Central London, and being directed away from the known route not once but twice, then more by luck than topographical knowledge managing to get back on route. I sympathise with anyone who has taken the wrong turn with a large vehicle and then finds there isn't a way through, just reversing back is not an option sometimes, talk about getting hot under the collar!.

My bus number (if any): RCL2250

Looks like a leaky pipe to the gear box in the end possible a rubber piston seal of an age also. So hope to have the prob fixed very soon. Still at least we don't have to worry about doors and ramps getting stuck!

Not an RMC then??

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.