ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
12 volt 21 w indicator bulbs

A lot of 12 volt car bulbs now seem to have only one contact at the base. so question for electricians, does this matter? If it matter, does anyone know a good supplier of double contact 12 volt 21 watt bulbs?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Re: 12 volt 21 w indicator bulbs

It certainly does, the wrong bulb will blow the fuse.
Lucas are still listing 335 bulbs.

Thanks Roy will look for those bulbs.

One of my Austrian customers couldn't get the right bulb so modified the contact of the bulb holder to use one pin; the other contact went to body.

Result? Positive earth fault, burnt-out gear control panel and 3rd gear permanently engaged, so a very expensive bodge. As discussed elsewhere!

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

Brian

Most commercial factors should have Durite,Ring or Guardian bulbs all of which make the double contact types of 12v.

My bus number (if any): RCL2250

Remember Brian is in France and 2 pin bulbs are hard to get in Europe!

I've probably got a couple of boxes in stock.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

Thanks Ed and Roy, I found a caravan supplier in the UK who does these bulbs for £1 each and will post to us here in France at cost Can also get Lucas bulbs at £1,50 each.

Brian

One company you could try online is www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk, price for 10 12v 21w double contact medium globe bulbs, delivered by airmail to France is around £10 inclusive. They do have lots of other parts like relays etc, so its worth shopping around. Ed

My bus number (if any): RCL2250