ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shuttleworth Collection spring gathering?

Are there any plans for what seems to have become and annual spring gathering at the Shuttleworth Collection?

I'm trying to plan the next few months and don't want to miss out on my excuse for taking the RML2644 out of winter hibernation.

Brian

My bus number (if any): RML2644

Re: Shuttleworth Collection spring gathering?

Sounds like good excuse for a run out !
Any dates in mind ?

Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Yep,
I'm up for it as well, RM1797 is ready for a run out.
I am sure that Charlie Young will bring his RT.

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM2112 Keeping the scrap yards clear of Routemasters

Last year I seem to recall that it was mid-March, maybe the 12th?

Any takers for the Sunday March 11th?

march 11th ok with me

mark

Just to bring Brian's post back up again .
Is there anyone else up for a get together at Old Warden on Sun March 11th ?

Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391 & ucoc 157

I have pencilled in the date to bring "The Silver Lady"

My bus number (if any): RM577

Does someone usually inform the Shuttleworth Collection that they'll have a number of buses descending on them?

Hi Brian,
Yes , I do believe they have been asked in advance for the previous meets . Just in case there's anything else taking place . Need to mention its not a public event like the RML event in August then hopefully its a freebie !!

Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391 & ucoc 157

Will hopefully bring 1699 if I can finish the work that I'm currently doing. You'll need to phone the Shuttleworth Collection to advise them of the gathering and hopefully they'll keep some space reserved at in the car park for our buses.

My bus number (if any): RM1699 - Eastbourne Regent V 69 (KHC369)

I am looking forward to our 'Spring Collection' at Shuttleworth on the 11th March, will see you all there, I know that RT4317 is also attending.

Regards

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM2112 Keeping the scrap yards clear of Routemasters

Has anyone spoken to Old Warden to let them know that we'll be turning up!

I'll ask them and let you all know.

Mark

Just emailed them . There could be a problem with the 11th Mar as their website states they have a model event taking place on this date . I'll let you all know as soon as I've got a reply .

Mark

Chaps,
As mentioned above the 11th march is an event day at shuttleworth .
It sounds as if they would prefer if we could avoid this date .
Access on this date will be via the park , so I've no idea if this is suitable for our buses ( there are humps and cattle grids , no idea about trees though - have asked) The main gate which we normally use will NOT be open on the 11th .

They are ok with us visiting , but it would probably be best to choose another date .

Anyone free on any other dates ?
18th march is mother's day and 8th april is easter sun , probably best to avoid these .
This leaves 25th mar , 1st april , 15th or 22nd april

mark

Got a feeling we will never find a new date suitable for everyone. So Mark, why not go ahead, pick a date in April, and then people can say yes or no?

How does the 1st April sound to everyone ?

It sounds fine for RM577

John B

Count me in!

Quick update for Shuttleworth.

Good and bad news I'm afraid .

Good news is 1st April will be ok

Bad news is it will cost £10 per bus to go there + admission charge to museum if you want to go in (There is a group discount available for the museum)

Please let me know if you still wish to go ahead by the end of the week then I'll confirm it with Shuttleworth.

Thanks

Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391 and UCOC 157BRP

This must be a change of policy? Surely we have never paid before?

I think they've got a cheek to charge £10 - especially on top of any entrance charge. For that reason I certainly won't be coming I'm afraid. Incidentally group discounts only apply to parties of over 25 so it's unlikely that we'd qualify!

I also think this new policy is a cheek. I took my bus to Wickstead Park, Kettering, recently. They welcomed me with free parking since they recognised I was bringing a party of passengers who would be paying for the amusements.

Shuttleworth has plenty of parking space, and this is shortsighted of them. I will not bring my bus, with regret, on 1st April, and (for all the management know) that means they have lost 30 paying punters.

That's what they charged the RMOOA last August when we had the rally there. Now I thought that it was only a charge that was levied during the so called season. Perhaps April is too late ?

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Afraid it's a new policy for 2012 , last email copied in below. I agree with the last comments so unless anyone has any ideas I think its cancelled . Shame as I was looking forward to a run out :-(

Mark

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your email.

As of 2012, the charge of £10.00 per bus will apply on all non-event days. I am sure you will understand that as a Charitable Trust we rely on the admission charges and support from our visiting groups.

I hope you would still like to visit on Sunday 1st April. This date is during the Easter break, so I will need to brief your visit to the gate team for parking the buses in an area together.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding confirmation of the date.

Well it might just be worth an appeal to their common sense before we give up completely. As I recall when I spoke to them before the spring event last year, there was mention of a charge, but I did emphasise the cost of diesel and that I thought that a charge on top of that would be a deterrent.As a result, they agreed not to make a charge. It might also be worth pointing out to them that last year, a number of us did pay to visit the museum as well as spending money in their cafe. So it really is their loss if they decide to pursue the £10 fee.

My bus number (if any): RM1699, Eastbourne Regent V 69 (KHC369), Regent III 42 (AHC442) (part share)

I'll give it a last go as I've got to reply anyway.

Mark