ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Original RM mirrors.

I am looking at getting something slightly more accurate looking on my RML rather then those big black (or sometimes yellow) plastic mirrors. I would like to get something original or very close to it back on there. I understand that the original pattern rectangle mirror virtually impossible to get hold of. I’m not looking for the small round mirror as these are quite easy to find and, although I would like it to look original, I would like to see things out of it also.

Firstly, does anybody have any of the rectangle type that they would be will to part with? If not then does anybody know or have something which is very similar?
Interested to know that people’s thoughts are.

Many thanks,
Tom

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Re: Original RM mirrors.

The rectangular mirrors were for the offside (cabside) and the smaller round mirror for the nearside and I thought far from satisfactory, but then the conductor was supposed to be the eyes and ears of the business side of the bus!

The rectangular mirror is a casting and does show up every now and then but the mount is not so easy and many are broken or damaged making safe use a bit of a risk.

The next best mirror is the Elliptical Desmo 'unbreakable' convex mirror fitted in the mid 1970's and very good quality vision but breakable as well. also the plastic becomes very brittle as they age. A new supply of these would be good for a myriad of uses.

Best I've seen is a bit of improvisation. G.P.O. 'Winguard' convex mirrors painted red almost 'mirror' the original cast one and are not handed so a pair can be used and the mount is the same as the Desmo and later types.

I've also seen the late no glass unbreakable mirrors of the smaller type (which are still slightly big on the RM painted red in a decent finish and they look less obtrusive.

Mirrors are a big issue now and the haulage industry is supporting a lot of moves to make the latest applications apply to a wider range of vehicles. In particular to nearside.
This has a lot to do with the vast increase in cyclists in the UK and no mandatory proficiency test.
Sadly, not one of the recent spate of casualties had ever taken a cycling proficiency test.

A shame as it does very much instill a sense of spacial awareness of other vehicular traffic and it's movements. Instead, the onus is being shifted onto the drivers of larger vehicles and would not be at all surprised if this also ends up applying to older buses. We now insist all our drivers take the Cycling Proficiency test so as to be sure that they have a full perspective from a cyclist's field of view. Time will tell if it helps.

Original RM mirrors.

I agree about the tiny round original LT "Dentist's Mirrors!" as I have these on the GS. The GS does however have an interior rear view mirror which gives a surprisingly good view of the activity beside and behind the vehicle (and the passengers).

It is a shame some cyclists behave so badly. As a keen cyclist myself I am horrified at the behaviour of many mechanised road vehicles, I must try and find my 1962 Cycling Proficiency Badge and Certificate - knew it would come in handy one day!

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471, 2213 and GS17

I have some spare RT O/S mirrors but no glass for them. I have tried getting the glass but it's not possible,I know it's possible to get an ordinary mirror glass cut, but would prefer a convex glass. Unfortunately these cannot be used on RMs as the fixing is different, but any suggestions as to how the glass can be replaced welcome, . eg cut down of desmo plastic mirror ?
Surprised to see that Tom says small round mirrors can be found easily as I have not seen any for a long time The larger Desmo black plastic N/S mirror fitted to RMs in the 70s was a vast improvement on the small round and of course here in France we used a very large mirror on the N/S as that is the "driving" side.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

I too have a stock of RT/RF rectangular mirrors minus the glass! I reckon a decent glass dealer ought to be able to supply a convex mirror of whatever shape and cut it to fit.

My GS also has the little round mirrors and I'm loathe to replace them, but may have to succumb in the interest of road safety!

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

Apparently getting these glasses is nigh on impossible Roy. I can get laminated and toughened glass easily here for RTs and RMs but nobody does the convex mirrors. Mike Fuller had some made when he was Secretary of the RMA but they were just mirrored glass, I wonder if these Desmo plastic ones or larger lorry glasses can be cut down? There are plenty of larger mirror glasses on Ebay UK.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

The Spafax unbreakable mirror, fitted to some RMs, which has a yellow surround with four screws in the corners and a separate 'lens' can be robbed of its lens. This can then be 'made to fit' an RT/RFmirror head. Done it. But I can't recall the spafax mirror head part number.

Original RM mirrors.

Not original but cheap (£8.00 + VAT) and innocuous. I've got these on all my RMs and they look fine and give a good rear view.

Universal 7109 Mirror head

http://www.jabspares.co.uk/products.php?Cat=accessories&page=93

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471, 2213 and GS17

7109 looks almost identical to the plastic Desmo

On the subject of mirrors has anyone got the large black plastic Desmo type that got fitted to RM's in the 70's on the offside. They were also used for DMS & MD interior and late DMS & MD nearside. They measure 9" x 5 1/2". I need one for MD 60.

Paul.

My bus number (if any): KRH 411P

I agree how useless the original nearside mirrors were. When I got RM737 visibility was even worse because of staining around the rim. It's strange that the original offside ones were not also fitted nearside, as there must be a limit to what a conductor could see/do when taking fares etc.

Eventually I got some old ball type mirrors from Neil Sargeant at Westwood Commercials. These are slightly narrower than the original offsides but look fine and, more importantly, show plenty. They're around £20 each. Tel: 07836618646. He might be worth trying as he said he had several available though it was a while back.

My bus number (if any): RM1353/RM875/RM737