ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
looking to buy a routemaster

Hi
I am looking to buy a restored or one that needs restoring RML or RM preferably with Scania , cummins or Iveco engine.
Must have good A frame and B frame.
Please get in touch if you know anybody else that mey be interested.
Thanks

Re: looking to buy a routemaster

Hi , How soon are you looking to buy one and , hope you don't mind me asking , do you intend to keep it as a bus or convert it to something else ?

Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391 & ucoc 157

and add to Mark's questions, why a Routemaster and not a cheaper bus? If you can find an RM for under £15 000 you will be very lucky!! There is one in France for sale (RM 58) for £40 000

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Hi Cindy,

Same questions as Brian and Mark.

What do you plan to do with the RM? Someone I know is looking to sale an RML in the near future so if you have any contact details I can pass them on.

RM's do come up for sale every now and then for allot less then £15,000 although, as Brian says, not that often. Anything less then say, £10,000, you will need to start spending some money. Value depends on many factors ranging from things like original registrations to remaining original fittings, Refurbished or un-refurbished, certain rare liveries, tacho fitted, Class 5 or 6 MOT’s, and sometimes even allocation histories, etc etc.

RM’s which have been converted into other things (i.e. cafes etc) are a different story altogether. Most cases (purely my own opinion here) any conversion will lower the value of THE VEHICLE ITSELF although anyone trying to sell will try and recoup any conversion costs which is why they are often for sale at very high prices.

Tom.

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Again, it depends on what you want to use it for. If it is for almost daily use, you'll need a Cummins or similar engine as in my view, although the AEC is a splendid engine, it's now past it's best and spares are very hard to find.

Remember, if you intend using it abroad, you'll need to cut the top off as most countries have a 4m height limit!

In my experience, unless the bus has had regular use, you'll have to spend quite a bit renewing parts of the braking system.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

I think that you will find good advice and help as long as owners are reassured that the intention is not to hack a bus about converting it but to restore it.
Owners, in particular preservationists and restorers have experienced their cherished and increasingly rare vehicles being blown up, cut up and messed about with often in an irretrieveable manner, which quite understandably makes many very sceptical and wary.
Put that worry to bed and I'm sure you will get no end of good advice and help.

Hi All

Just to clarify I am looking for aRoutemaster for private use not to convert and needs to be in reasonable condition and running order. Would be grateful if anyone could help as wish to purchase one as soon as possible

I can put you in touch with a guy who has RT'S RM'S and RML'S for sale.
Asking price for "Good" buses is in the region of £25,000.
He has asked that i only give his number to serious buyers not tyre kickers and those that want to haggle.
If still interested please get in touch.

My bus number (if any): rml 2478

Yes please Graham- please can you email me with his contact details or if you prefer your contact telephone number so that we discuss this further
Thanks

Cindy what county are you in? You will possibly need someone to look over any prospective purchase for you, so when you have got to that stage let us all know and then maybe someone local to you/it can help. You will likely get a lot of opinions expressed about price; do some research. Some very nice looking buses are absolute dogs mechanically.

Hi,

I can put you in touch with someone who is looking to sell a refurbished RML which does need work (exteriorur and interior paint, re-trim, MOT)

Bus has been stood for a while now but is complete mechanically and has been driven recently.

As Roy says, you will get allot of opinion on prices but for £25,000 I would be expecting something either rare, mint condition or a vehicle I could put in revenue earning service the next day!

Please email me if interested.

My bus number (if any): RML2344