ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Colour for cream ceiling on a GS ?

Does any one know the correct cream colour for a GS ceiling ? As I am just about to re paint mine on GS 15 . Many thanks

My bus number (if any): GS15

Re: Colour for cream ceiling on a GS ?

Chiswick Cream as shown in the LT Gs paint spec.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

There has been a lot of debate over the years about whether Chiswick cream was used on the ceilings of all the post war vehicles like RTs, RFs and GSs etc.
Some self appointed "experts" say that the RF and GS had a different colour to that of the RT. I am not aware that a different cream was used on RFs or GSs but then I didn't do painting at Aldenham. However, I think part of the problem is when smoking was allowed the cream soon browned on the ceilings of single deckers giving the impression it was a different colour to that the RT lower decks. I would agree with Roy and go for Chiswick cream for which more information can be found on the ROOF website under "Paint for your Routemaster", or perhaps ask a GS owner with an original spec GS like John Clark.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

The LT paint drawing says Chiswick Cream, but I'll double check when I find it again! The right way to find the original colour is to remove a bit of beading of the like; there's bound to be a clean sample under there!

Thanks for your quick reply's ! I also thought it was Chiswick cream , which i matched the ceiling to a swatch , but once I started to rub down the ceiling , breaking though the first layer of paint , I noticed it was much lighter underneath !!!! Thinking this might be an under coat I rubbed down further but the colour still remained lighter . As I rubbed though the different layers of paint I also un-covered the original transfers , so this lead me to believe the lighter shade must be the original colour . The original colour is more of a pale pastal yellow than Chiswick cream . I also have a LT colour charts for an RF which shows that having RF PALE CREAM .... So this is where I am !!!!!! All rubbed down,and no colour to paint ........

After finding and looking at the drawing RT 018P, I don't think its Chiswick Cream at all. Chiswick Cream was gloss and used on the external colour band, The interior colour on the RT roof is called ivory. The interior colour band (with red centre) has a different colour code but that is also called ivory!!
To make matters worse there was a modification around the time that the stanchion cups were painted and that changed the specification of both interior colours, (but NOT necessarily the colour) it was again called "ivory".

Mike, I have sent you an E mail with a couple of photos hat might help, if the GS interior roof is the same as the RT, it is certainly a light colour when applied.

Come to think of it, my ceiling panels were a bit lighter than chiswick cream round the edges, possibly county cream.

Nothing to do with the paint but are you Brian Spellers son?

My bus number (if any): RM 912

Yes i am Chris ,Did you know my Dad ?

I believe the ivory as it was known, used on RTs etc can be got today as

Masons 154/22

Steve

Many thanks Steve , just sprayed the Ivory out and looks good !

Good stuff Michael, pleased to be able to help

Steve

SPRAYED??????????AAAAAArgh!

Nothing wrong with spraying Roy, we spray our interior roofs. LT used rollers for the main ceiling panels and brushes for the lighting panels and interior mouldings. To set up interior spraying would have been too much work (and expense) to spray the interiors,but for one bus it is practical. Remember the RM ceiling panels and mouldings when new were all sprayed and stove enamelled prior to being fitted. That's why the original ceilings are so much better than those that were later painted like the lower saloon ceilings painted off white over the sung yellow, they were roller painted and turned fawn (see Mark P's post)in no time when the condensation got to work. When we did roof repairs we had the interior panels spayed prior to fitting and the set screws although the paint didn't last long on those when you screwed them in.

Still chuckling at this one...

I know the GSs and others were sprayed in the factory. Too much masking for my liking so I sometimes roller the ceiling then go over with a brush.

BUT, wearing my purist hat, no comment.??

Were the GS's interiors sprayed painted by ECW? As far as I know none of the RT family were spray painted when new, not the interior or exterior, in fact Park Royal hand painted exteriors even up to the SMSs where the weak paint soon came off the front corner panels after contact with the garage washing machine brushes. If ECW interior roofs were spray painted was it done in situ or prior to installation in the bus?

Using powers of deduction, I'd say the GS ceilings were sprayed before installation at ECW. Exteriors also appear to have been sprayed in the factory.