ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
London transport Paint specifications

Hello my name is Steve Murray and although not a bus owner I have two hobbies, I am a modeller and I am a bus enthusiast.
I don’t know if you are aware that the Revell company have recently released a plastic model of the RML in 1/24 scale and as a modeller I am presently involved in researching colour schemes for this type of bus.

As the result of an internet search I came across the article about the Colour specifications for Routemaster Buses, incorporating information received via Phil Wilson, that was posted by Chris Dobbing on the 23/11/05, on this website.

In the article I was interested to see that there is some speculation if the LT bus colours conform with the colours listed in British Standard (BS) 381c.

As a modeller (and through my profession!) I am very familiar with BS 381c, and I have to hand the latest copy of BS 381c (issued 1994) and several "Back issues" (1964, 1980, 1988). I feel you would be interested to note that The Front page of this British Standard has the following statement:

"The Preparation of this British Standard was entrusted to a Technical Committee STI/14 Colour Schedules, upon which the following bodies were represented:"

What follows is a list of these bodies, which includes "London Transport" in the earlier editions, the latest edition states "London Transport (Buses)"

Each edition of BS 381c also has an “Appendix B” entitled, “Major Organisations Using Colours from BS381C.” As I am writing this I am at present looking at the 1988 edition and listed in Annex B is London Regional Transport. It gives a comprehensive list of the colour hues used by this organisation. (Which I have listed below, for your interest.)

It appears LT were instrumental in producing the BS 381 Standard from almost the first edition in issued in 1931 which was pre London Transport, but I speculate that the General or Thomas Tilling Companies may have had some input into that first (1931) edition.

As London Transport was a publically owned organisation until privatisation, and as they were involved in the conception and subsequent management of BS381c, I find it inconceivable that LT Buses were not painted to BS colour Standards from day one in 1933. All other organisations that had similar status (Post Office, MoD, Trinity House, Fire Service etc.), all used and in some cases still use BS381c colour hues.

Reading through a lot of the posts on colours this website there are a few quotes that state colours are a bit “like a BS colour” but more orangey or bluey “ or whatever.

I believe that LT vehicles were always painted to BS standard colours. LT seem to have given them their own paint names (Ayres Red or Chinese green for example) and there own paint codes. As stated in posts there are some variations in colour hue, but it is only recently that computer controlled paint mixing methods can really get consistent colour paints. In earlier days there could be considerable difference in the hue of different batches, especially if supplied by different manufacturers, and of course paint, especially red, fades with age which makes a comparison with old paint a problem when trying to find a match.

Yours

Steve Murray

LRT COLOURS LISTED IN BS381C 1988 EDITION
Hue numbers 105,107110,166,218,221,309,361,412,445,447,537,539,542,632,642.
Please Note BS 381c is organised in terms of primary colours Red Green Blue etc. The first number quoted is the Colour 1=Blue, 2= Green, 5=Red etc. The following numbers are the Hue (or variation) of that colour. If you try the following link it should go to a colour chart that will illustrate this and perhaps indicate what colours the listed hues are. http://www.e-paint.co.uk/BS381%20Colourchart.asp?pType=&pFinish

Re: London transport Paint specifications

Some interesting information there. It's about time someone took the trouble to research LT colour properly to try and end the speculation as to what if and what might be!

I know Green Line green (Lincoln green) and eu-de-nil are BS341 colours, as are the BEA blues and greys!

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

That's pretty much how it was until around 1974 when paint types changes.
I think it was to reduce cadmium content. (Lead was already banned on LT buses - not for health but to save weight!!)

It's post 1986 that it all goes wrong when paint was contracted out and specifications were not adhered to. Come the private companies and gain although there is a specification, park six buses next to each other- each from a different company and the range in hues is easily seen.

Trouble is the BS system was very good and the RAL system in rationalised and metric by mix so many shades are not achievable using this syastem.

there used to be painted test panels outside Chiswick Works left there for years to see how different blends and ytpes of paint fared with the weather.

ISTR John Marshall the owner of RFW14 was involved in that department for a while.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.