ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Red or Chrome

The subject of whether front and rear light fittings should be red or chrome has been discussed before and of course it is known that Routemasters were delivered with red trims.

However, having just flicked through the infamous RM parts manual I have noticed that for both front and all five rear fittings the part no's and description clearly shows they should be red EXCEPT for RM6 and RM10 where different part no's are listed with the description stating chrome finish so it would appear at least two Routemasters are supposed to have chrome fittings.

David

My bus number (if any): RML2276 M1001 T806

Re: Red or Chrome

That doesn't mean RM 6 and RM 10 David, it means the body codes. 6RM6 is the RMC and 8RM10 is the RCL. The BEA 9RM12 also had chrome fittings.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Brian, Yes of course it does!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was in its shortened form so it didn't click.

Never to old to be educated.

Ah, an ideal candidate for the driver CPC then......

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

Educate me then

Fortunately I have no need for a CPC Roy. I have no desire to carry members of the public for the rates most are willing to pay! My Chiswick training and "Grandfather rights" not for hire or reward PSV licence is sufficient.

I could however do with some educating. What would the minimum size Jack be to lift an 8 ton vehicle for the purpose of wheel changing. Clearly a 10 ton jack will do it but given you are only lifting a corner presumably a 5 ton jack will suffice.

Are there official figures for what is needed. Are there weight distribution details available for RM's and other buses?

Also can anyone recommend a decent tall axle/body stand supplier. I need to drop my Titan on to two stands at the rear of the bus and lower the column lifts to get access to the suspension air bags.

Any thoughts anyone

David

Re: Educate me then - jacking

I remember seeing an information sheet or drawing on jacking up Routemasters. Does anyone have a copy ?

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Re: Educate me then

Hello David,
How high do you want the bus off the ground? Melco make a range of good reasonably priced axle stands. AS20 go up to about 18" at full height and will support 3 tonnes each. AS30 go to roughly 30" and carry 4 tonnes each. AS40 go to 40" and 6 tonnes each. Sealey make good cheap jacks of all sorts.

A pair of 8 tonne bottle jacks will not cost a fortune and will offer a good margin over the load expected. If you want to support a vehicle that has been lifted on 4 wheel post lifts high enough to walk under, then you will need to budget for about £1000 for a pair and make enquiries for recommendation from local heavy commercial garages. The best ones have screw tops to level the vehicle.

A 3 tonne trolley jack will not lift one corner of the bus so don't expect to find an easily portable trolley jack that will do the job. You must not jack up, or place axle stands, underneath the front boat.
If working outdoors take great care if it is windy, or hot enough to weaken tarmac, especially if the vehicle is more than a few inches off the ground.

In case anyone uses the search facility in future, if changing air bags, don't forget that the chassis needs to be supported because the vehicle will drop as soon as the air is let out of the air bag possibly trapping you!

There is an LT chart available from thermmanual.com which gives theoretical wheel weights and measurements for vehicles up to the Titan and Metrobus