ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parts Required

Can anybody help me please. I require a repair kit for a brake slack adjuster. If any one knows of anyone that does one also the part number for it it would be much appreciated.
Also has any one got an Accumulator Schrader valve for sale as well or any info on where I could get one from.
Thanks in anticipation
Brian.

My bus number (if any): RML2616

Re: Parts Required

Slack adjusters from Imperial Engineering 01992 634013. You MUST specify for which wheel it is required. Around about the £300 mark last time. The n/s/r is a pain to replace.

Do NOT use a tyre valve core in a Schrader valve for an accumulator; it is not designed to withstand the pressure. Again part should be available from Imperial.Check the nose cone on the old valve body for damage caused by the taper in the acccumulator end cap, which may need attention.

Chris Dobbing had Schrader valves. They are hard to get now, sale seems restricted to companies only, but you can them in the US, have a look on the internet. You could try Lionel Moss for a slack adjustor, but the last one we had from Imperial was over £300. Olympian ones are £45 on eBay!!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Thanks for your replies.
Roy
I require a full Schrader valve not just the core.

Brian.

Is the slack adjuster on the olympian same as route master. (I only need the manual adjustment square) hence repair kit.

Thankyou both
Brian

My bus number (if any): RML2616

Looking at the pictures I can see on Ebay, the Olympian slack adjuster is nothing like an RM one; all appear to be Haldex pattern.
I was referring to the availability of complete units for schrader valves, the mention of the core was only a safety warning.
My view is that if the vehicle is used for carrying passengers, whether commercially or not, then all the time overhauled units are available for safety critical items, then that is what should be used. When they are not, serious questions arise. Apart from the obvious potentially tragic consequences, if demand and core unit flow to remanufacturers is not maintained, then the next time such parts are required the answer will be a big fat "bad luck no longer available".

I have 4 new Schraeder valves in stock at the moment, £32 each.

I have some non-factory overhauled slack adjusters coming in stock soon, but only have 2 repair kits. I have to keep them to overhaul my present stock of dirty units. Again, will need to know which wheel as they are all different.

RM adjusters are totally different from Olympian and other units.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

hi there bthe rmooa have slack adjuster centre shafts plus keys brand new and not expensive. rfegards. tim.

My bus number (if any): rm2023 2097 RML2388