ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
900x20 tyres

Would appreciate some thoughts on 900x20 tyres. Good tyres are not cheap, and cheap tyres are not good,but, 900s are a bit hard to get now and I have heard many stories of blowouts with cheap East European or Asian tyres. Any brands to definately avoid,and any which are recommended?

My bus number (if any): RM531

Re: 900x20 tyres

It really is a case of shopping around to see if you can get a good deal. I managed to source a Matador Tyre for my Regent for about £90. It was manufactured in the Czech republic but apparently its one of the better eastern european tyres. Very recently I picked up a brand new GoodYear G293 Radial for £90 from a tyre company in Ampthill Beds. Seems like very good value to me. Unfortunately it was the last one in stock, otherwise at that price I'd have been tempted to buy a couple more!

My bus number (if any): RM1699, Eastbourne Regent V 69 (KHC369), Regent III 42 (AHC442) (part share)

I/We have 4 off 9.00 x 20 retread tyres (and 2 off 10.00) available, have not seen much use but have been on a vehicle for several years, think they are on Michelin casings no obvious defects - repeat RETREAD not remix or remould.

The only 9.00's we have bought in recent years have been crossplys which the most recent have come from China they are E marked and have been fine, prominent brands are double coin and protector. We managed to get them from importer/wholesalers rather than sole wholesalers or retailers which mean we paid less, but the prices have shot up recently due to raw material costs (like everything else!)

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of

...and remember to renew the inner tube as well! they are available but pricy..

My bus number (if any): RM308 and RM66 Group

Hi all,

900x20 tyres are becoming a problem. Recently we contacted our tyre supplier for Radials and crossplys, can you believe that X plys were easier to get hold of!!!

From what I can make out, the only 'new brand' that is any goo are 'Double Coin', but dig deep as new they range from £150-£180 each (ouch)

Andy