ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My poorly RML (and thanks for the previous replies to my questions).

Hello Brian

This is the reducer valve (or pressure regulator) that I have used.

BELLOFRAM HIGH FLOW PRESSURE REGULATOR
TYPE 70
MAX SUPPLY 250 PSIG
RANGE 1-60 PSIG
1/2 BSP PORTS C/W 0-60 PSI 50MM GAUGE

3/8 BSP are available, however mine has 1/2 BSP ports because that was what was available (at only £15.00 on eBay so it worth taking the chance). I had to fit adapters to get down to 3/8 BSP but this may have helped as the body gets a bit close to the air vessel test point when screwing it in and without the adapters may have fouled it. The adjusting knob had to be removed to allow turning of the body and then refitted just before final positioning. I will post some pictures of the installation later. The gauge is handy both for setting and of course keeping an eye on things. I will either relocate the gauge (by unscrewing it and fitting push fit connectors and running nylon tube to the inside of the bus) or cover it with a bag to give it some protection

This is the Bellofram website

http://www.marshbellofram.com/PCD/T-70.htm

but try searching on google for bellofram type 70 for vendors with prices (around £70.00)

Success. I now have 550 psi in the accumulators. I rebuilt the two accumulators using new seal kits (thanks Martin for all your advice). One accumulator looked fine but the other had oil in the air side so definitely worth doing and not a difficult job. It took me 2 hours to complete the pair of them. I fitted new schrader valves as well. The only thing I had to do was reuse the copper washers on the banjo fittings as I didn't have any new in the correct size. Not so sure I should have bothered draining the tank before I did the job as the oil looked pretty clean and there is a lot in there to waste. I did fit a new tank filter although it was slightly bigger than the old one and sealed the sides of the tank trapping the oil in the top when I filled it. I trimmed the top end of the filter to the same size as the original.

Easy to bleed the brakes (there is also a point on the brake pump) and lots of air came out before I had nice clear oil (thanks for the advice on bleeding brakes Roy).

Pressures now at or exceeding the minimum values shown in the RM manual and achieved in the times stated for build up. (as are the gearbox air pressure figures and times).

But most pleasing is the 18 applications before the flag drops!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!

My bus number (if any): RML2276 M1001 T806

Passed the MOT, so again thanks to all those that helped.

The usual MOT man was on Holiday so had his replacement. Even more helpful and enthusiastic than normal.
My first time for a smoke test which he said was now required (is this correct)? He tells me that the limit is 3 (parts per million I assume) and we recorded 0.16 so pretty good me thinks.

Brakes were good, he said at 77% (50 is apparently the minimum) and handbrake at 32% (16 is the minimum).

He didn't check the brake applications (although my pride got in the way after all my "hard work" and I insisted on telling him I had 16 minimum). He said he only does that on Vans!

Most of his "checks" were spent admiring the clean underside and telling me what a good bus it is. Of course he didn't spot the body support falling apart (I have a rivet issue)

Chassis clean next as it isn't as clean as I would like it to be and I have more work to do in that area.

Ta again

David

My bus number (if any): RML2276 M1001 T806

Well done. Is it class 5? The handbrake for pre-1968 (I think) has to "stop the rear wheels turning"; there is no set minimum percentage!

77% on the footbrake is good, did you remember to STAND on the pedal as this gives full line pressure and you should get a lock-up all round. 32% on the handbrake is good.

There's a proposal to omit the smoke test from a class 6 test as only 281 vehicles out of 180,000 psv's have failed in the last year. It will also save something like 3.46 minutes per test!

Keep up the good work.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

Well done on the pass, RoyTB is correct on the pre 68 requirement for 0% being what you have to better on the handbrake but on dual circuit vehicles (like RM's)only not single circuit
Smoke test other than visual should not have been carried out, it only applies to post 31/07/1979 vehicles be it class 5 or 6 as it was harmonised a couple of years ago.

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of

Hello Roy

Yes I stood on the brakes as instructed!

It is class 5 and following what you said I have just found online an MOT inspection manual

http://mottesters.co.uk/files/special%20notices/MOT%20Inspection%20Manual.pdf

It seems to say that Vehicles first used before 1 August 1979 need only a visual smoke test (7.4 page 1)

and

"Passenger vehicles with 4 or more wheels, with more
than 8 passenger seats in addition to the driver’s
seat, having a service brake (foot-brake) operating on
at least 4 wheels and a parking (handbrake) operating
on at least 2 wheels which were first used Before 1 January 1968

If single line service brake then parking brake efficiency should 20%

If dual line then there is no requirement except:

The parking brake on these vehicles must be capable
of preventing at least two wheels from rotating when the vehicle is stationary. There is no
specified efficiency requirement."

I assume the split between front and rear brakes means RM's are dual line but in any case the 16% figure the test station quoted is for first used after 1 January 1968

I have also read:

"Buses first used before 1 October 1969 are only
required to be fitted with one headlamp. Where two
are fitted, neither the main or dipped beams are
required to form matched pair."

So double dip headlamps are not needed if one really wants an original looking bus.

"With the engine switched off, repeatedly apply
the service brake until the warning device
operates. Check that at least two further
applications of the brakes are available."

No mention of applications before the flag drops only after.

Re Glass

"This inspection applies to Class 5 vehicles only.

Marking is not required for safety glass on vehicles first used before 1 June 1978."

Mark

You posted while I was typing and agree with what you have both said.

David

My bus number (if any): RML2276

There's also no requirement for safety glass to be fitted except on forward facing windows on pre 68 buses; only 1 tail and 1 stop light required too!

It's been a while since I read the class 5 testers manual so forget the exact wording. amazing what you find out innit?

On a recenr class 6 with an RT, the smoke meter showed something like.016, but the cloud from the exhaust had me rather worried! It was probably oil smoke.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

David Colin
It is class 5 and following what you said I have just found online an MOT inspection manual

http://mottesters.co.uk/files/special%20notices/MOT%20Inspection%20Manual.pdf

MOT Guides and Inspection Manuals for all clases here;
http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm
Vosa Vehicle testing manuals and guides (PSV & HGV) here;

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publications/manualsandguides/vehicletestingmanualsandguides.htm

Useful as they are free downloads so you can either bookmark them or save the file on your computer

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of and a leap of Leopards