ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RML2266 RH Transport

Hi All,
With the demise of RH Transport, does anyone know what has happened to RML2266? It was last reported as with BusWorks Blackpool for respray earlier this year and assumed it was sent back to RH Transport.
Many thanks,
Tom.

My bus number (if any): RT3316

Re: RML2266 RH Transport

no idea about the rml but green rf nle603 is up for auction by the company disposing of assets .seen on ebay.

mark
no idea about the RML but green RF NLE 603 is up for auction by the company disposing of assets .seen on ebay.

This is the link, might interest Brian Watkinson, would be a very good restoration project for you Brian as it doesn't look that bad?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1953-Leyland-AEC-Regal-London-Bus-diesel-plate-NLE603-Incl-VAT-NON-RUNNER-728-/150928551934?pt=UK_Minibuses_Buses_Coaches&hash=item23240aeffe

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Allan

RF gearbox also for sale on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-AEC-SOUTHALL-RF-LONDON-TRANSPORT-SINGLE-DECKER-BUS-GEARBOX-TRANSMISSION-/310469515595?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item48496cd94b

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Allan

Graham Laurie
mark
no idea about the RML but green RF NLE 603 is up for auction by the company disposing of assets .seen on ebay.

This is the link, might interest Brian Watkinson, would be a very good restoration project for you Brian as it doesn't look that bad?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1953-Leyland-AEC-Regal-London-Bus-diesel-plate-NLE603-Incl-VAT-NON-RUNNER-728-/150928551934?pt=UK_Minibuses_Buses_Coaches&hash=item23240aeffe
I have already seen it thanks Graham. As Tom Gurney is finding out, they never look bad until you get the panels off, particularly the all metal RFs.

I have alerted all those interested in RFs to RF 603 and I hope it finds a home. I often wonder what is underneath the panels of a lot of RFs, and RTs come to that, having seen the extensive rust and rot on a well rallied and immaculate looking modernised RF, the external view probably hides a multituude of sins. Happily something the RMs, having no steel parts in the body structure (despite the suggestion that they do around the rear U/S emergency door in the latest RMOA magazine) does not suffer from.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458, RM 1585 RTL 960 and several RTs

Having demolished a couple of RFs over the years and done a prtial rebuild on RF136 in about 1994, they rot almost as bad as the RTs! I gather 136 is on the verge of disintegration, despite having been used in PSV service until 2003.

My bus number (if any): rml

RMs have steel bracketry behind the cant rail panels attatched to the main body spars which if I remember correctly are load bearers at the joining point of the lower saloon ceiling/upper deck floor.

I gave mine a good waxoyling when I repanneled it.

My bus number (if any): RM531

If you mean the foot brackets below the coving panels Steve, they were made from the same aluminium, magnesium alloy as the pillars. There was a problem with these cracking at the front bulkhead first on RCLs then RML and they were replaced with solid, (but not steel) no cut out brackets.

Only steel I've ever seen in RM framework is the bolts. There are odd steel parts like springs and the catch plate on the slipboard holder, all I can say if there is any steel I have never came across it.

If steel was going to be used it would be in the bulkheads and floor bars and as far as I remember, they are all made from various types of aluminium alloy. The only significant material change I can recall was the replacement of the top hat double skinned floor between the longitudinal seats by marine ply due to erosion of the underside by movement against thesupporting angle.
It' also popssible some buses may have had steel parts used for repairs where the originals were no longer available. However, as was found with the panhard beams, any contact between alu alloy and steel causes corrosion despite the use of coatings, so the use of steel in inaccessible areas of the inter roof would have caused a similar problem.

Next time I go to PVS I'll have a look again as a lot of the interfloor structure is exposed.

Thats not the parts I mean Brian. From what I can remember, its been 8 years since I repanneled 531, there are small steel brackets to reinforce the alloy sections you refer to at the point where they join the frame. Only small, but they are there! There is also a small section of steel on both sides of the lower body behind the cast alloy footstep, at the top or bottom I think. There are also the same small steel brackets around the cab structure where the woodwork joins in.

My bus number (if any): RM531

As I wrote that bit above Steve, I started to wonder about the angles under the footstools I presume you mean the ones that take the floor section (which was later replaced with marine ply? We did at first put two alloy angles across the gap to try and pull it together and bolt the floor section in place to try and reduce movement and the erosion of the underside of the floor section. None of that worked so Marine ploy was used. Not 100% sure after all this time but given the amount of holes we drilled through that angle for the various mods to fix the metal floor section in place, I think it is alloy and not steel.

There may be small steel parts on an RM although I really cannot think of any that are part of the structure or bodywork, but not as part of the rear emergency door framing as implied in the RMOA Magazine.

Not sure what you mean about the cab timbers, can't think of any wood in an RM cab apart from the cab door, the slide runners and a packing in the bulkhead that was used to fix the fire extinguisher in place. What could be steel though is the cab door runner assembly.

There is wood reinforcing the windscreen pilars on and RM - or should be.

There are also some other steel components around the body that are also steel and some are stress loaded.
The plate behind the cab step is steel and rusts very badly.

Re:RM Materials was RML2266 RH Transport

Ah yes wood packing in the screen pillars for the screen mechanism screws, forgot about that, and the little packing by the entrance pillar covered by the shiny doorway kicking plate.
Parts list shows Driver's step bracket (RM 055 CL1)and a stiffener under the driver's step riveted to the stress panel. If the step bracket is steel, why just that part?
I can't understand why those parts should be steel Jack, when the pillarsm floor bars, and the main stress and load bearing parts ie the bulkheads are made entirely of alloy. The parts list drawings doesn't list materials but the actual part drawing would. Parts I had forgotten about that certaily are steel are the seat frames, top parts are stainless but the feet are not and a lot at PVS have just rusted away.

Re: Re:RM Materials was RML2266 RH Transport

The step reinforcer was to prevent distortion from continual loads but was also used in the body lifting process - I think as a secondary stabiliser. It's a devil to replace.

Re: Re:RM Materials was RML2266 RH Transport

Your memory is better than mine Jack! You're right the front O/S crane hook did indeed fit into the drivers step. I had completely forgotten that, despite having probably seen it hundreds of times whern I wass in the High Bay! The N/S hook (like the RTs on both sides) fitted into a bracket on the bulkhead, and not the N/S step.

Ebay sale of RF 603 went for £3,202 plus VAT. RH Transport used to have RML2266 but that wasn't listed on the ebay sales, so I wonder what became of it?
Tom.

My bus number (if any): RT3316

Its not plus VAT Tom, VAT is included in the price.

My bus number (if any): RTL 980, RMC 1458 RM 2585 and several RTs

RF136 was my first restoration project when it was parked at Pioneer yard in Richmond. It was owned by a chap called Guy.

RML2266 is now operating for a company in Essex so she is safe.

My bus number (if any): RM1403, RML2271 RML2674

The two brackets under the cream band at the front to which the trafficators bolt to are steel as are a number of brackets around the front upper-deck joints on the outer edges of the wrap-around panels.

My bus number (if any): RM 912

There was an article in a recent RM Association magazine about steel plates on RMs a couple of issues back. I must admit I was surprised by how much there was, when it was covered in brown primer it all looked aluminium alloy.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs