ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RML Axle Weights

Hello,

Would anyone have the axle weights for an RML?

Many Thanks,

Derek

Re: RML Axle Weights

Depends what engine it has, they vary. If you are abroad, they often ask for this info and there is no database of the original spec. See the FBHVA website for more info on this matter as I've just had to research this for an RM in Germany.

Easiest way to find out is to go for a voluntary brake test or a public weighbridge.

My bus number (if any): rml

Derek

Walker produced a chart in 2004 based on original LT specs, giving unladen/laden weights per axle & wheel. Too many for me to list here, but if you want to email me I will send details to you. As Roy has said it will depend on engine fitted, I assume you want figures for original RML engine.

My bus number (if any): RCL2250

The buses do not have a manufacturer's plate listing design axle weights like more modern buses and lorries. I contacted VOSA technical at Bristol several years ago regarding this very question and their records only list a gross design weight of 13 1/4 tons.

The only real indication of the individual axle weights is the ply rating or load index of the tyres.

front axle must not exceed 4580 kg and a rear axle 8240 kg if on 900x 20 12 ply

for 14 ply the figures are 5000 and 9200.

10x 22.5 14 ply tyres are the same rating as 14 ply 900x 20.

AFIK the Dartmasters are on 11x 22.5 front tyres because of the increased front axle weight due to the Allison box.

One can assume that an RML actually weighs in the region of 8200kg unladen regardless of what is claimed on the n/s/r panel.As for passenger weight, the authorities delude themselves into believing 63.5 kg is realistic.

Surely you're not over 63.5kg are you Roy?? I must admit to being slightly more than that at about 112kg....nuff said!

My bus number (if any): rml

Derek

Taken from Walker chart which states ' This chart is produced from original London Transport materials with permission, and it reflects the fleet status as it was in 1985'.

The following axle weights apply to RML vehicles with original engine and not refurbished buses, and tyres 900-20 14PR.

Unladen weight; FR AXLE 3678kg ( ns 1831 / os 1842 )5kg chart discrepancy
RR AXLE 4146kg ( ns 1885 / os 2261 )
Total 7824kg

Laden weight; FR AXLE 5472kg ( ns 2761 / os 2711 )
RR AXLE 7060kg ( ns 3294 / os 3765 )
Total 12532kg

Chart; all figures given are approx, with allowances made for slight discrepancies in weighing, and for rounding errors, unladen weights include fuel,oil and water.

None of the above information comes from me personally, so if any of you experts don't agree with the Walker chart information, which also includes most other LT bus manufacturers vehicle statistics, please don't level criticism in my direction.

My bus number (if any): RCL2250

Thanks for all of your help!

Hi
I came across this forum with "routemaster axle weight" keyword.
I'm trying to register a RM Routemaster in Japan and I have to submit front and rear axle weight. Both the tire and the frame(design?).
I could probably find the tire ones from ply spec on tires but would you know the spec for the frame??

It's equipped with CUMMINS B145 5.9L engine
I'd really appreciate any help.

My bus number (if any): RM1292