ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: RM 1843

Has there ever been an instance of an RM being found after so long away from LT - and not at any time with a preservationist - that has remained `untouched` and so near to withdrawn condition? Paul made the observation that it couldn`t have been off the campus of the college that bought it as it has no marker lights nor regulation size mirrors. He is going to get in touch with them to find out more. It possibly has LT fuel in the tank and there are still several original interior posters in situ albeit badly faded and torn.

From its time in the Sales Department when it carried spare parts and went with other buses on delivery to docks / new owners, among the stash of bits were small boxes of gaskets, injectors and bulbs etc hidden behind the wheel arch seat cushions. They were still there all these years later!

Here`s a picture of one such trip leading RCL 2252, RM 1924 and RM 1888 to Harwich Docks. It`s taken on the A12 or A120 near Colchester on April 3 1985.

RM 1843

When I first saw RM 1843 again after 27 odd years I was totally amazed at how original is was. As Neil stated no marker lights, no big mirrors etc & the interior still having adverts dating back to its time in service. It had only been locally registered after its sale from William Jewel College, Liberty to enable it to be driven to its new home in Harrisonville a distance of some 50 miles.
I've been asked a few times why Ensigns have gone to all the trouble and expense of repatriating a Routemaster when there are "so many about" Well there are not many time warp ones like this still around and given the provenance that this particular bus has it was considered a worthwhile project.

An original advert for a Jewelers in Whitechapel

Now this is what amazed me the most, some boxes of gaskets, injectors etc that I put behind the N/S bench seat after changing the head gaskets on the 11th May 1985 and still there safe and sound !

It's almost a shame to do anything to the interior of 1843 !

Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Just to bring the fantastic story of RM 1843 bang up to date, here it is today on a wedding hire at Eltham Palace. It drives as good as it looks !

RM 1843 photo 20150704_145522_zpsjozrltox.jpg

Paul Almeroth
Just to bring the fantastic story of RM 1843 bang up to date, here it is today on a wedding hire at Eltham Palace. It drives as good as it looks !

RM 1843 photo 20150704_145522_zpsjozrltox.jpg

Looks fantastic Paul, could you provide some updated photos of her interior?

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver/Restoration consultant)

Yes no problem Graham, will try to get some on Wednesday or Thursday this week when hopefully it will be out on the 15's along with the rest of the Ensign vintage fleet covering Underground strike extras.

That will be RM1843's first time back in London Stage Carriage service in thirty years, nice one.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver/Restoration consultant)

An update to this very long running thread recalling the incredible story of an RM that was exported to the USA in 1985 only to have brief use before `abandonment` in a car park for many years and then, remarkably, being brought back to the UK.
Looking at the pictures of how it was when `rediscovered` in 2012 to how it is now, the repatriation and subsequent restoration makes this Routemaster stand out for a `most unlikely ` award.
Hats off to Ensign for spending so much time, effort and money on such an improbable project and ending up with an attention grabbing vehicle that has a worthy place in a commercial operation.

Here it is at Imberbus yesterday:

What an excellent, well organised event this is. My first visit and to be driving RM 1843 over the military ranges of Salisbury Plain was a real treat.
It really is an active army training ground so public access is very limited to just a couple of weeks over Christmas/New Year, at Easter and in August.

Salisbury Plain is a vast area - around 20 miles by 12 and rising to around 750` above sea level. Some truly remote and very scenic places feature on the intensive timetabled service run for just one day. It affords a chance to see, hear and photograph Routemasters in a most unlikely setting with some equally unlikely destinations!

With long straight stretches of high altitude road, leafy sections, middle of nowhere locations and a few hills, the opportunity for pictures is considerable. In a couple of remote places, bus stops are set up so that the backdrop can be used for pictures with all buses observing these stops though the majority passenger activity is at the terminus or interchange stops and at Imber village requisitioned by the army during WW2 and never handed back. Only the church remains and now benefits from the fares taken on this interesting `running day`.

Over twenty buses were present yesterday representing most Routemaster types including a few `new ones`. I was very impressed at the pre-event emails containing all the information needed in advance and backed up on the day by everything being done to a high standard. It seemed that nobody had to be told to create a good and credible turnout. It just happened. And although the weather forecast suggested dire things it wasn`t really too bad until some heavy rain around 3pm turned the chalk ground of the Plain into a wet, white mess that couldn`t be avoided.

This has to be the most remote, scenic and quite bizarre place to ride on well turned out Routemasters carrying full loads and for anyone who likes such things, Imberbus is well worth attending. And it is that much more special because of the people who give their time and vehicles for others to enjoy but pick up the cost themselves in order that good causes benefit.

And it would be fair comment to say that Paul Almeroth and I had a great time at Imberbus on an RM that was a big part of our time on LT over thirty years ago. If someone had said in 1985 that RM 1843 would come back from export to run again in the UK and we would be a crew on it running a service across Salisbury Plain it wouldn`t have been remotely feasible !

1 2