ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Platform Timbers

I would like to gauge interest in Platform Timbers. In the past I have made these at work at very little cost. This is not now possible.
I need some for my buses and will get a batch made in hard wood, but the cost will be £159.00 for a set of 3 platform timbers.
Does any one need a set for their buses?

I have spoken to Greengate who have supplied them in the past, they do not have any sets in stock, and do not plan to restock, but when they were in stock they charged £262.08 per set.

Regards

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM13

Re: Platform Timbers

The last time I enquired, they were about £45 - £50 for the set of three pieces. Just shows how prices have gone up !!

There is that saying ..... "Boys with big toys have to be prepared to pay big bills !"

My bus number (if any): RM1368

It may be worth approaching a small joinery works to get a price for making them.

It may well be worth getting as many ash components made as soon as possible.
Seasoned Ash is now in very high demand as it could be an extinct material.

The current disease sweeping europe and now over here could wipe out all timber supplies of Ash
and mature and seasoned wood is being bought as 'futures'
No cure has yet being found and it is decimating young saplings as well as mature trees.

With a bit of luck a new extremely virulent disease will rear its head. One that will exterminate commodities speculators.

Larch could be a good alternative to Ash, can have a little more resin in it but is a good timber for framing work. The crisis with the Ash tree population may promote more use of Glulam timber framing, which is actually stronger in structural sections than natural timber.

I have a new set of RM/L platform timbers for sale.....

and lots of other RM/L stuff as well

Claire

My bus number (if any): BL49 etc

Just a thought but replacement window companies often have skips with large mahoghany window cills in them removed from homes - if you plane off the outsides the wood is usually in lovely condition having been painted or varnished - these are often large enough to cut your own new ones using the old ones as patterns and will last for years.

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

Hallo Claire.

I need some platform timbers if you still have them. Also will need the Treads and White strip, if I cannot separate. What else do you have ?

Kind Regards

Carl

My bus number (if any): RM2186

If anyone has a good set to copy, I'll quite happily make a few sets. I have a lot of ash in stock for other projects.

Ever tried making the lower front corner rail for a BEA coach or cab timbers for an RT?

My bus number (if any): RML2532 and others