ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RMF Infomation

I wondered if any of you could help me out,

I am yet to be able to work out the following information for a ex North General Routemaster,

As new does anyone know?

Fuel Tank - 29gallons like standard RM or 41gallons like the RMC,

Gear Ratio - i've heard it could be the higher rear axle ratio (4.7:1 instead of the usual 5.22:1) but don't know - mines not on the road at the moment to try work it out or even what speed it can do? its there a way of finding out short of taking it off?

Does anyone know what the orginal MPG should of been when new! - this is so i can compare when i get it on the road

I i look forward to your replys

matt

Regards

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (also known as RCN701)

Re: RMF Infomation

According to Ken Blacker's "Routemaster" the rear axle ratio was 5.2/1. It was however a worm drive axle, which would be noticeably different by sight.

Count the number of turns the rear axle flange makes during one turn of the rear wheels.

It is mathematically possible to predict the top speed, but ultimately it will depend on the condition of the fuel injection pump governor, it will be somewhere around 40 mph.

Hi Matt

If you can get hold of a copy of `The Routemaster Bus` by Colin Curtis, there is brief coverage of the Northern General buses. On page 60 it says: `Running out of fuel was, perhaps, the most serious complaint made against the Routemaster; therefore in 1966 it was decided to fit a larger 45 gallon fuel tank.`

Matt

If you have a look underneath the offside, if the larger fuel tank is fitted it is larger, and I think in two sections. Compare this with a standard RM/RML and you should instantly be able to tell which type yours is fitted with.

Andrew

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Rear axle ratio 5.2:1 underslung worm.
Double fuel tank of 45 galls.All Northern Routemasters were converted early in their lives to the larger fuel tank because they ran out of fuel on the longer trunk routes.

My bus number (if any): RML2551

Hi Matt - you will certainly need the bigger tank where you are planning on taking the bus !

www.japanorbust.org.uk

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

Graham Brown
you will certainly need the bigger tank where you are planning on taking the bus!

Already had it worked out/quoted to increase the tank size.

Also had a map of every "known" fuel stop along our route, which over half of is now defunked. this is because politcal barriers in the last few weeks and the increasing danger posed to overlanders in some of the countries we would pass through, because of these factors we have defaulted to oneto our back up route that would see us traveling further north, safer, shorter more direct route. Although back to square one on the known fuel stops.

Sounds an exciting trip ! - are you planning to reconvert the bus back after the trip ie. store all the original fittings etc. ?

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

Graham Brown
Sounds an exciting trip ! - are you planning to reconvert the bus back after the trip ie. store all the original fittings etc. ?

I wish i could think about that, it would be nice to, for the trip at least the outside will be resorted we have already started on the original fittings, i'm after various bits of exterior trim at the moment.