ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RML2290 & 2734 for sale

Hi all , for sale at Ensignbus are RML2290 & 2734 ,I think they are both Dartmaster's , I used to drive RML2734 on the 13's ,it was very nice to drive, lets hope they don't go to canada like lots of Routemaster's Ensign have had in a dealer capacity , having said that the company in Canada that have got lots of Routemasters off Ensignbus do look after them ,Absolute Charters is the name of the company I think and also West Coast Motors in Nova scotia

My bus number (if any): none yet!

Re: RML2290 & 2734 for sale

Jim Gilroy
Hi all , for sale at Ensignbus are RML2290 & 2734 ,I think they are both Dartmaster's , I used to drive RML2734 on the 13's ,it was very nice to drive, lets hope they don't go to canada like lots of Routemaster's Ensign have had in a dealer capacity , having said that the company in Canada that have got lots of Routemasters off Ensignbus do look after them ,Absolute Charters is the name of the company I think and also West Coast Motors in Nova scotia

Jim, RML2290 has an Iveco engine and original Wilson Gearbox, ex-London General Putney Garage, I travelled on her in Blackpool last year. RML2734 is as you say a Dartmaster.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Allan

Hi Graham , I stand corrected on RML2290 ! , how is the restoration on RM967 going ,has the LPG engine being removed yet and what will happen with it?

Jim Gilroy
Hi Graham , I stand corrected on RML2290 ! , how is the restoration on RM967 going ,has the LPG engine being removed yet and what will happen with it?

I'll try and speak to Tom through the week about RM967 Jim. I don't think it has been as yet.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Allan

Any ideas where 2734's gone? It appears to have been sold already.

I didn't think any RMLs were 'Dartmastered'. I thought these refurbs were concentrated on the RMs that were bought back by TfL. Have I got this wrong?

My bus number (if any): RM1001

Mike Smith
I didn't think any RMLs were 'Dartmastered'. I thought these refurbs were concentrated on the RMs that were bought back by TfL. Have I got this wrong?

I think London United were the only Company who Dartmastered their RMLs Mike and all were allocated to Shepherds Bush Garage, I've driven three of them, RMLs2432, 2600 & 2697.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Alan

Hi,
This is my understanding also. London united converted some RML to cummins engines and Alison gears but left the rest unchanged, wear as the true Marshalls were complete refurbs of interiors also.

I've heard stories of a Volvo engined one out there somewhere!

hi guys the first of all was if my memory serves me correctly was 2471 with metroline. londom
n central general did some rml's too.

My bus number (if any): rm2023 2097 & RML2388

tim
hi guys the first of all was if my memory serves me correctly was 2471 with Metroline. London
n Central General did some RMLs too.

Were these the Putney RMLs that ran on the 14 & 22 and were fitted with Hopper windows like my old bus RML2271 Tim?

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Alan

41 RMLs were fitted with the Cummins B-series engine, but with the two different types of Allison gearbox.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Method of selecting gears from the cab might be different ie 2734 has a push button selector (recessed not raised buttons btw)mounted on the steering column as opposed to a handlebar selector, but surely the Allison gearbox would be the same for all.

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of

Hi all , regarding RML2734 I drove this one on the 13's and it has a rectanguler gear change box on the steering colum as did RMl2744,all the other's on the were a gear stick by the hand brake on them (ie all the Marshall referbs) . Also I was at Ensign last Wednesday (23/02/2013) and RML2734 was still at Purfleet.I will try and find out who it has being sold to and put a post on for all intrested people.I also travelled on RMl2734 up in Blackpool back in August 2011,it was very strange to be a passenger on a bus i'd conducted and driven in London.

The difference between the gear selector shows that a different gearbox was fitted. The earlier type (or Mini Metro style as I called it) was the Allison MT643, and the later type (push button type) was the T270.

Latterly there was a split through most batches operated at various garages, as I think all operators had both types eventually. Yes, Marshall Bus conversions had both types, although the vast majority were the MT643 type (40 in total). The early ones, including Sovereign's had the MT643; RM1562 had a T270 which then joined them on the 13. RM848 had both types fitted, as it was the first with the T270. RM1164 was the other one fitted to a Marshall Bus conversion.

Hi Andrew , intresting info that,Re RM1562 when we had it at Sovereign it used to go like the clappers,it was allways the one most of us driver's wanted to have on the 2nd half of a shift to insure we finnished back at Golders Green on time!,it was the only one with that type of gearbox in our fleet,you could allways tell it from distance because it was the only bus in our fleet to have a white relief band,I also understand that RM1562 was inside the millenium dome along with RT1702,the only other buses we had in our fleet that had differant livery's were RML2734 & RML2744 they were both still in LU livery with grey relief band and the LU crest,just no LU signidge,we also had RML881 & 2485 on loan for afew weeks in 2003 or 2004 ,I forget when!

RM1971 is for sale near Bedford , had a look at her a few weeks ago . This one is fitted with a B series engine, I understand this one was the test bed for the B series engine . I inside the bus its very original with more or less all the original fittings - bulbs, trim original style moquette etc . It needs a bit of tlc but would make a very nice bus again .
Just wondering if anyone knows a bit more about the history of the bus regarding fitting the new engine and what other mods were done ?
Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

RM1971 was the fourth or fifth to be fitted with the T270 Allison gearbox. It was about the 46th or 47th Routemaster to be fitted with the Cummins B-series engine, and the 1st or 2nd Metroline RM to be converted. It was fitted at about the same time as RM1799 in May 2002 (I think).

RM1562 was the only one to be fitted with the Euro III ISBe engine - yes it was quick ! It too had the Allison T270 gearbox.

Hi Mark
Could you send me contact details for the seller of RM1971, if it's still for sale or point me to the ad if possible?
Thanks

There is a message here - see http://www.busweb.co.uk/aecbus/messageboard.htm - that says that RM1971 is no longer for sale !