ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Metrobus restoration advice

I assume some of our mechanical contributors have had Metrobus experience at LT.

I have started stripping the front brakes and hubs etc.on my Metrobus. There is a lot of muck and rust as you would expect around the axle and air bag brackets etc. I would prefer to replace any mechanical parts that need doing so I don't have to touch it a second time.

With some RM restorations I have seen complete A frames removed and rebuilt. With that in mind is there any benefit in the complete removal of the whole axle assembly for rebuild and repairs to the bus itself or would I be creating extra work for myself with little gain.

I suppose the same should be asked about the rear axle as well.

Thanks in advance

David

My bus number (if any): M1001 RML2276 T806

Re: Metrobus restoration advice

In my view, most Metrobus renovations can be done with axles in situ. Airbags-replace the whole assembly including top and bottom plates. Tehy're best remove with an air chisel to get the top plate bolts ut. Bottom casting is held in with one nut.

Make sure you jack up the bus properly, I know one chap who had a bus fall on his head. He was in a vegitative state for a few years before he died.

Replace the levelling valves too. Brake shoes are fairly easy to change. The worst areas on Metros are: the ~"coffin", the floor area over the back axle; the gallows that the engine hangs from, can split where it meets the bulkhead; over he centre door, the whole are becomes live.

King pins have a nut which tightens to about 650lb/ft so you need a BIG torque wrench to do that.

Check for play on the brake S cams and bushes while you have the wheels off. I still have a small stock of Metro parts including a new angle box for the steering, radiator, some air bag bits, front level valve and others. Maybe brake s cam bushes.

Thanks Roy

If you can sort me a list of all any Metro parts you have and prices I will let you know what I need. I am starting from the bottom up and although I have acquired a few parts I will need more so anything could be useful.

David

My bus number (if any): RML2276 etc

From memory it's what i've said above, plus some lights, lenses, buttons, Gardner throttle actuator (recon), brake pivot pins, relays, radiator, cab heater matrix, maybe brake drums. I've got so many parts I wouldn't live long enough to list them all!!