ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Securing a Routemaster

Hi all

would love a bit of advice for the best way to Secure/Lock a routemaster.

I have a RMF, and even though it has front door, back emerancy exit door and drivers door, non of them lock.

- Whats the best way to fit a lock to the drivers do so it still looks good (my mate suggested fitting a shed lock - rolls eyes)

- Front folding doors, i want to lock these from the inside to preserve the outside view of them.

- the emergancy exit door i will use to gain access to the bus in the first instance to unlock the folding doors, so a lock would be needed on the outside.

i look forward to your suggestions

regards

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (also known as RCN701)

Re: Securing a Routemaster

In a word, you cant secure one. All you can do is make it more difficult to gain entry, someone determined will always get past any security feature.
Step 1. If you have an electrical isolator switch, use it.
Step 2. Depending on where the bus is stored, turning off the fuel or fitting an on/off tap in the fuel line might be an idea.
Steo 3. Use a good motorcycle security chain and lock through the cab door handle and the adjacent grab handle.
Step 4. Do nothing to the front doors. Most people slide a good timber beam through the internal handrails to prevent the doors being pushed open from outside.
Step 5. The most difficult. Some form of lock- I have seen Yale type barrel locks as well as Lowe and Fletcher locker type locks fitted to emergency doors. But be wary of anything that may prevent the door being opened from inside in an emergency. The MOT man will have a coronary, especially if its in for a class 6.

My bus number (if any): rm531

Just to emphasise a point by Steve. If the emergency exit can be locked and is found to be by Vosa, expect a fixed penalty notice.

Vosa's
Heavy Vehicle Process Manager - Testing and Support Services

Has said to me my bus only needs a Class IV MOT as it only has 12 Seats and is in private use.
I will check with him about the legalities of locking a Emergency Exit when the bus is not in use (parked).

My bus number (if any): RMF 2771 (also known as RCN 701)

When it's parked up you can do what you want. Our buses have the cab door wedged shut with a piece of wood (not possible on an an RMA as you need to be able to get access through the window behind), so padlock and chain it as Steve has suggested above.

The platform doors are bolted and then padlocked. When you are carrying other people's materials and toolboxes etc you cannot just leave doors open!

The RT we have with an O/S RF type door is secured by wedging a block against the doors so they will not push in to open, you could also as Steve suggested above, run a piece of wood through the handles.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961 and several RTs