ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Door sticking on GS

The folding door on my GS is getting stuck on the pyramid nosing just inside the entrance. I can't see a way of adjusting the hang of the door.

Can anyone help? Many thanks.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS 17

Re: Door sticking on GS

What part of the nosing does it stick on? The bottom or first step? You may find the bottom pivot, which is rubber mounted, has perished and needs to be replaced. No, I haven't got one, I used my only spare on 67 last year.

Bottom step. I'll have a look and see if I can find my bottom pivot! Thanks, Roy.

It's directly under the bracket that holds the bottom of the door on. Remove the 2 nuts then you'll be able to lift the bracket out of the way to reveal the pivot bearing.

Door still sticking on GS

I've located the bottom pivot, removed it and replaced the rubber mounting, which was perished as suggested. The door is still sticking on the pyramid nosing on the bottom step. There doesn't seem to be any way of adjusting the way the door hangs. The bottom pivot is not weight-bearing and I can't see a way of adjusting the height the door hangs.

I can't safely carry passengers while the door is defective and I'm hoping to celebrate "GS60" by taking it to the Hertford running day.

I'd value any more suggestions.

Re: Door still sticking on GS

It could be the door is out of square or the door aperture is out of square!

There may be adjustment on the top bearing which you can just about find by taking the panel off over the door. It's not something I've ever had to do on mine.

What part of the door sticks? If yours still has the original rubber draught strip on the bottom, take it off. Where does the door stick on the nosing? If it's the outer edge it could be the huge girder under the edge of the step has lifted or the wood of the step has bowed upwards over the years.

Hi Chris

Are you close to Tilsworth near Leighton Buzzard?

We did some work on GS17 for Paul Fleet in 2007 and one of the jobs was to reinstate the wood slats on the steps, this was done but i don't remember any issues regarding the doors catching the tread plates. Are the doors catching the outer (green paint) tread plates or have some been added on top of the wood slats? Looking at the photos ive taken of that job i don't think we even removed the doors!

Also does the cream molding on the door still line up with the molding on the body?

We would be happy to have a look at for you (while you wait) if you can get over to us with the bus or just bring over the timber section from under the tread plates and i will run it through the planer.

Regards

Looking again at the picture, it appears your step is thicker than that on mine! My GS drawings don't show wooden slats on the bottom step, only the metal serrated strips. Your door doesn't appear to have the draught strip either.

I must admit I've not heard of this problem before on a GS.

Roy,

Does your GS drawing have a date stamp on it? I suspect that the original timber slats were removed soon after the GS's entered service for this very reason, i have a picture of GS17 (looks like new & no indicators) on the front cover of 1987/1988 "LOTS" magazine and the bottom step edge looks as thick as on the picture of GS17 above - also no draught excluders.

I agree with what you say about the thickness of the bottom step - it looks thinner almost all GS's, the other thing they seem to have in common is the one piece of wooden slat still fitted on the right hand side of the bottom step (looking in), which coincidentally is probably the only piece that wouldn't interfere with the swing of the doors. If Chris is correct and there is now way to adjust the height of the doors (i can't remember) the only option would have been to remove the offending slats.

I also found this:

L.T.E Maintenance Bulletin No.45 - GUY GS, Section 2 part 35:
"STEPWELL - The stepwell is of aluminium alloy with hardwood boards and slats".

We put the same slats on the steps of GS60 and as far as i know it hasn't suffered the same problem. At that time i was unaware that the tread strips were standard and to be honest i thought they were someone's botch-up! Under the strips i found the ghostly outlines of the old slats and used this as a guide to make the new parts, but as i later found out mine were slightly different to the original looking slats i found on another GS (not sure which GS, it may have been 42).

My offer still stands.

Regards