ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ALL Routemasters to be banned from London by 2020??

Interesting post on the other channel.

http://www.london.gov.uk/media/press_releases_mayoral/mayor-london-announces-game-changer-air-quality-capital

Rob

My bus number (if any): RT4628

Re: ALL Routemasters to be banned from London by 2020??

"The vast majority of emissions reductions through phase five would have been made through the TfL bus fleet. So the Mayor has proposed a package of measures that will still focus on the bus fleet, but that will save London’s economy £350m by not including all HGVs, buses and coaches as had originally been planned."

RMs and all current exempt historic vehicles are still likely to remain exempt from emission standards. To ban all vehicles that do not meet future standards will not work, there's very few electric lorries or hybrid coaches around. A good portion of theatre trade depends on coach groups.

The effect of banning all heritage bus operators from the LEZ has already been discussed at length with TfL, of which I was pleased to have been a part of. It was estimated that there were about 50 commercial heritage buses that regularly used the then proposed LEZ, with possibly another 50 or so undergoing restoration for further commercial use.

I suspect it was due to the "enthusiast" group in top echelons of TfL that watered down the original proposals. Luckily those people are still in similar positions!

reading this, it sounds to me they are talking business related vehicles, is anyone able to say how this will effect private buses not used for service, hire or reward. or would they be treated the same even though they are used as a heritage vehicle?

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (also known as RCN701)

It means ALL vehicles, private cars, even 50cc mopeds,
Current plans are for no exceptions during working hours 7am -9pm including saturdays.

It is to be led by public transport services and Local authority services but will be a blanket ban.