ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Improbable

By early 1985 so many RM`s had been withdrawn that the Sales Department at the former AEC site was stuffed full of them. Periodic clear outs to the scrap dealers had to happen to make room for the next arrivals each time a new round of service changes made many more surplus to requirements. The general feeling was that the days of the RM were going to end within ten years. It would have seemed improbable that many of the buses pictured here on Feb 11th would find new homes - scrapping was more likely.

Looking to the future back in 1985 it would have been improbable that all of the RML`s would undergo a major refurbishment to see them into the 21st century. Even more improbable that LT would embark on a `buy back` policy of RM`s that had scattered to various uses around the UK. And totally improbable that in 2013 there would be RM`s in daily service on the 9`s.

So how improbable is this picture of RM`s 1735 and 1627 almost next to each other awaiting their fate when twenty eight years later they can both be seen daily on the 9`s.........

Re: Improbable

But just look at the line of Fleetlines behind..

Re: Improbable

Hi Neil , I was lucky enough to conduct and later drive RM's 1627 & 1735 on the 13's , I would have prefered to have driven them with there proper engines in them at Blackpool Transport or Reading Mainline,rather than in there "rso" or "Dartmaster" format, still at least I got to drive them at all I suppose, most of the buses on the heritage route's came off the 13's .RE the fleetlines at Bus sales less said about them the better!!