ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Conductors returning to London

Note with interest last nights Evening Standard had advert for Metroline in it requiring Conductors for the borisbus on route 24 , who'd have thought it would go full circle again so quickly ? Admittedly duties will slightly different for the new conductor / customer assistant but an 'old friend' will return to some of the capital's buses.

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Re: Conductors returning to London

Hi Mark , that is wonderfull news for all the displaced conductors that were so uncermonously sacked back in 2004/2005. Lets hope this will happen on lots of other borismaster routes

My bus number (if any): none yet!

Jim Gilroy
Hi Mark , that is wonderfull news for all the displaced conductors that were so uncermonously sacked back in 2004/2005. Lets hope this will happen on lots of other borismaster routes

it will happen on all routes that "borismasters" go on

however i dont feel we need all of the old fossils back, new inspiring customer focused individuals would be good ;-)

My bus number (if any): RML2366 RML 2683 & RMA 58

In my little opinion, would it not be a wise move to be able to multitask and have a job description entitled. Driver/platform assistant supervisor attendant, luggage handler? This would cover sick, holiday, training etc. I bet the unions would love that idea though.....

My bus number (if any): RM158

Mark D
In my little opinion, would it not be a wise move to be able to multitask and have a job description entitled. Driver/platform assistant supervisor attendant, luggage handler? This would cover sick, holiday, training etc. I bet the unions would love that idea though.....

I was a conductor for four years on the Kelvin Scottish Routemasters Mark before becoming a driver, indeed two of the buses I conducted on in Glasgow between October 1986 & July 1987, RMs1933 & 1941 have also come the full circle and have been back in London service now for over twelve years.

As I no longer have my PCV Driving licence due to medical reasons, I have to admit that if I lived in London, returning to my old job manning the back-end of a Borismaster would be appealing as I would not have to worry about running up and down stairs or taking fares any more.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Alan

I seem to remember reading earlier that the two-man crew would both be drivers and that halfway thru their shift they would swop places. Perhaps the rules have now been changed.

My bus number (if any): RM1001