ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
main cable and brake reline...

Hello everyone!

I've got a backlog of overdue maintenance, renewals and renovations to catch up on, so you'll be hearing a lot from me

Starting with starting.... Starter motors both away for overhaul, batteries healthy.
My issue is with the starter switch (see seperate post on the ROOM page) and the 50 year old main cable.
Would I be advised replacing whole lot with copper? Main problem is that the terminal on starter end is loose due to aluminum corroded also some rodent damage to insulation.

Last mot I was advised that front brake linings starting to break up. Obviously, once I'm started I'll need to stop, but not sure what relining involves and havent , yet, found reference on the interweb...

I'm keen to reuse, repair, recycle and relax when ever possible. What's the view of wiser owners than me?

Thanks
Ian

My bus number (if any): 1842

Re: main cable and brake reline...

For front brake reline, I can supply brake shoes with new linings fitted on an exchange basis.

As for the battery cable feed to the starter, unless you replace this, you are risking serious fire damage. It is possible to replace the cable from behind the off side rear 4-seat where there is a join in it.

Ian Rushby
Hello everyone!

I've got a backlog of overdue maintenance, renewals and renovations to catch up on, so you'll be hearing a lot from me

Starting with starting.... Starter motors both away for overhaul, batteries healthy.
My issue is with the starter switch (see seperate post on the ROOM page) and the 50 year old main cable.
Would I be advised replacing whole lot with copper? Main problem is that the terminal on starter end is loose due to aluminum corroded also some rodent damage to insulation.

Last mot I was advised that front brake linings starting to break up. Obviously, once I'm started I'll need to stop, but not sure what relining involves and havent , yet, found reference on the interweb...

I'm keen to reuse, repair, recycle and relax when ever possible. What's the view of wiser owners than me?

Thanks
Ian

for brake linings, speak to
The Brakehouse. Unit 7 Imex House, 6 Wadsworth Road, Perivale. Greenford. UB6 7JJ, 020 8998 4009

your best bet is to take the drums off, and the shoes, put the shoes in the respective drums and take them to these people, they will then reline the shoes with new linings, and will look at your drums to determine if you need anything done to them.
Possible actions are,
1, new drums - old drums knackered, cant be skimmed and reused
2, skim old drums, and set up new shoes to fit (when skimming drums the correct rollers need to be fitted to get the best use out of the brakes)
3, no action, drums fine, new linings fit all fine

obviously it depends where you are to you taking the items there yourself. They can arrange collection and delivery i believe as he told me that he has delivered them all over the world (not personally)

these people do the linings and skimming themselves, they will be the most cost effective people to get these from, ive had many from them and can totally recomend

My bus number (if any): RML2366 RML 2683 & RMA 58

If you are going to change the shoes yourself make sure you follow all guide lines of saftey,if the spring comes down on your fingers .it will hurt a bit

My bus number (if any): 1083

Thanks for the top tips, gentlemen....
First things first. Have to move bus to workshop in order to get wheels off.
I'll go shopping for cable today. Copper thinner than ally, I assume.

I'm not a regular visitor to the interweb, but I have found this forum particularly inspirational.

My bus number (if any): 1842

Copper or aluminium cabling

Hello Ian. Aluminium cable needs to have almost twice the cross sectional area to equal the resistance of copper cable. So your copper cable could be thinner but needs to be substantial enough to handle the starting current for the starter motor. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the replacement cable and how you get robust swaged connectors fitted to the ends.

It might be helpful to know what cable was used when rewiring the Marshall refurbs in 2000.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS 17

Re: Copper or aluminium cabling

hi chris. omly thing is marshal rm's only have half an engine if that. so less cranking power needed.
regards.
tim.

My bus number (if any): rm2023 2097 & RML2388