ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
An unlikely pair

We were often short of RM`s at Stamford Brook but we never actually resorted to borrowing Trolley Buses to cover duties on the 27`s! This picture shows an unlikely pair of buses together at an LT garage on June 2nd 1983.

I know it`s not exactly a Routemaster theme but a while back a thread on this forum somehow came around to mention the unfortunate mishap that befell TrolleyBus 1768 when it arrived at Stamford Brook Garage to be displayed at an open day. I just happened to be there as the tow truck slowly entered the garage - the driver no doubt assuming that 1768 would easily fit. The huge bang as it stopped dead and almost separated from the tow truck was a big surprise to those that witnessed it as I don`t think any of us had ever noticed just how tight the clearance was for a `decker passing beneath the lintel of the middle arch. At a quick glance the front dome of 1768 seems ok but a closer inspection reveals a crease that actually belied more serious damage inside the top deck. The boom gear mounting that took the full impact was quite badly damaged though not readily visible from the ground. 1768 went on to spend several weeks at Stamford Brook as our Coachmakers worked on it whenever they could find time in between keeping the indigenous fleet fit.