ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LED interior lights

Today I've found a source of, pearl led lights which appear, to the casual observer, to be the same as the original 24v bayonet fitting types that can sap a batteries strength in next to no time.

I've not held one in my hand or seen a full compliment in action so cannot comment yet on effectiveness.

Anyone else interested? £12 each. I'm trying to negotiate a bulk discount....

My bus number (if any): 1842

LED interior lights - Polarity?

Sounds great if is true. Get one first and try it out. Are you sure they are 24 volt DC? I can't see that a standard bayonet fitting would suit a low voltage DC LED as on average they wouldn't work half the time because the polarity would be wrong.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS 17

Re: LED interior lights - Polarity?

Tis true...but admit it sounds to good.
I've ordered one to try out.
There's also an extra bright one, but that doesn't look right.
Apparently, the B22 fitting in 12v canal boat circles is known as the bus bulb as, guess what, its same as bulbs in a bus.
They have built in electronics which protect against voltage spikes and work from 10 to 30 dc...
Can't wait to try, I'll report back ASAP.

The led bulb has arrived and fits and works!
Looks good I'll post a pic later...

Hi Ian
The only thing I was going to point out is the colour temperature of the LEDs. They need to be down at about 2800k to look like traditional filament bulbs.

Can't work out how to post pics from phone.
There's a choice of warm light and cool, dunno how that fits on the k scale but I'll endeavour to find out.
Now It's dark I'll have another look!....

I'd suggest they might be a bit expensive for a class 6 bus, especially if the punters on a beano decide to throw them out of the window!

Otherwise sounds good.

Manufacturer says, without prompting, the lights are between 2800 -3000K
Certainly look good in situ.
They could have indelible ink printing on the base.
All my originals have gone now but I seem to rember LT 24v and possibly a date....

Gosh, Roy. You must get some rough types. I'd never even considered that possibility.

LED interior lights

Ian, if you email me the picture of the light I'll be happy to post it. Cheers, Chris

LED interior lights - pictures

They look OK to me. I think I'd be happy to switch. If a few of us got together we might be able to get a bulk deal and I could sell my old bulbs and spares for a couple of quid each which would help a bit!

Re: LED interior lights - pictures

Hello Chaps

Among other electrical work I sell and install LED lights for a living! Didn't think they would be of interest to bus owners!

I will get a price from my suppliers. Those we use (mainly commercial tubes and high/low bay fittings) have a five year warranty. I will ask if they can do a 24V dc bayonet cap replacement. We do have tubes that could replace the refurb bus tubes. At around 25W for a 5' an improvement on the existing tubes but a small modification would be needed.

If you have a part number for the type you have found I will try to get an alternative price from my supplier. We have installed nearly 20,000 LED tubes and fittings in the last 18 months so we may be able to use our buying power to get a better price

David

My bus number (if any): RML2276, M1001, T806

I've found an alternative supplier and cheaper price already.

I'm really keen to go on the led/smd route in my house and bus.

Contact Saul, Aten Lighting. Lights will be made to order 20+ get a 20% discount.

£6.57 each when buying 20 or more, free postage, made in England.
Ticks all my boxes, wish everything else was as easy....