ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Problem starting an Allison gearbox RM

I'm having problems even starting my bus.
It's a london united converted RML with the cummins b series and Alison gears with the touch control panel.

When I engage the ignition I have power to other systems like headlights and the brake light on the flag unit, however the display does not light up N on the gear control unit and I presume due to this the bus won't start either.

I've checked the obvious pop out fuses but all appear ok.

Does anyone have any ideas or know of any other hidden fuses or something silly I'm missing?

Many thanks in advance

Re: Problem starting an Allison gearbox RM

We had the exact problem with RM548 a few months ago.

We found the problem was caused in the battery compartment, there is a small fused lead connected to the batteries that had disconnected itself at the fuse.

This lead only powers the gearbox controller and had come disconnected probably when we hit a pot hole, I had noticed the bus was not changing gear so I turned the engine off and it would not restart as it was probably stuck in gear. There was also nothing on the little LED display.

Ours had disconnected itself at the fuse which is about 6 inches from the battery terminal so check there first.

Hope that helps?

David

My bus number (if any): RM765 & RM548

Hi David

Many thanks for your quick reply. I will give that a go next time. It does sound very likely. Also just seen your photos of the restoration of 548. Looks very good.

Thanks
Barry

hi barry if not sorted call me on 07881897945. regards. tim.

My bus number (if any): rm2023 2097 & RML2388

Well that solved it. Took a total rewire in the end due to the corrosion. The fuse and holder was disintegrating and the negative return had somehow become completely disconnected from the battery terminal! Seams like a very strange setup for a 'professional' conversion. Many thanks for the tip!

Also as a closely related question: A chap touring across america in RML2650 has just lost all power to his transmission or the computer controller on a similarly converted bus. He's had two mechanic look at it but no ideas between them! Any ideas what he should check?