ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Exhaust parts

These are now in very short supply according to my supplier as I urgently needed the bit-behind-the-silencer and tailpipe for test.

If anyone else needs these for immediate use or stock, the manufacturers are doing a small run. It appears the only items off the shelf at the moment are the original type silencers which also fit RT/RLH and a few other things including the GWR Railcars!

Re: Exhaust parts

Another case of lack of demand resulting in the supplier withdrawing parts from the catalogue. As the bus companies have been saying about their local rural services "use it or lose it."

So a vote of thanks to all those who have cleverly saved themselves a few pounds by cutting out a rotten section of exhaust and substituting a length of flexible pipe. That's fine for you, but those who have to pay for their vehicles to be fixed have been done a considerable disservice. Not all failures can be dealt with in this manner, resulting in far greater expense either in obtaining a custom made section or in welding in new metal.

Of course it could be the case that people bought good quality exhausts that have lasted well and didn't need welding in of sections.

Be useful to know who this "supplier" is so those who have or haven't used them can cross them off their suppliers lists!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961, M 271 and several RTs

That will be Dinex that are deleting stuff when its run out and not restocking, have found that a few years ago with the early twin box Atlantean system plus getting hold of compression rings for the flange joints is a pain now.

I have located a firm up here in the north, Rochdale to be precise that can make pipes and silencers to pattern, some of the tight radius bends might cause a problem and a lot of the time they have to reuse the flanges as some sizes are difficult to get hold of.

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of

It may be what Brian says, but 2532 has got through 3 tailpipes and 2 silencers since we bought it 9 years ago!! They simply rotted away, and that's not through lack of use either. Maybe the stuff Commercial Exhausts turned out was cheap quality crap.

dinex took over commercial Exhausts a few years ago and as other Roy says, use it don't lose it! No demand so they withdraw the parts as stock runs out.

I too have had to bodge the tail pipe sections with odds of pipe just to get through the test, but these will be replaced with new sections when dinex supply them in about 3 weeks.

I know there's a few firms round who can make exhausts, but they are few and far between.

The same firms that make exhausts for classic cars can make exhausts for buses and commercials.
Most classic owners now opt for stainless steel exhausts as they last for ages. The mild steel and lower grade ones are still popular on vehicles with low clearances where damage may be the culprit for shortening the life of the exhaust.

Our trucks now have stainless units and of late a newer baffle box design. This has eliminated the one shortcoming of stainless units - they are a bit noisier. Not any more.

Average life of the units is 15-20 times that of the older M/S units which we stopped using a very long time ago now.

Although initially expensive, they work out 70% cheaper over the lifespan by comparison.

In fact most systems outlast the unit during it's service life. It's usually just road or accident damage for replacement.

Roy - you say Dinex are going to supply you in 3 weeks time. So can they actually still supply them but just not off the shelf anymore ?

My bus number (if any): RM1368

A recent conversation with the manager of my local engineering company touched on the topic of the cost of providing welding services. The increase in the price of consumables had caused a major campaign to ensure that no invoice, however small, could be prepared without knowing the current replacement cost of anything used. The previous policy of updating from the last supplier's invoice had revealed the potential for making a loss on jobs and particularly on small jobs. The frequently taken-for-granted Gas welding equipment has become alarmingly expensive to run and maintain.

Wise move keeping the flanges. From owning a modified Morris Traveller that is lowered, and fitted with a custom exhaust i too opted for a mild steel exhaust. Far cheaper as its not a everyday car and one less thing to polish! Although with the RM i do have a couple of spare bits, i would perhaps go the stainless steel option though..

My bus number (if any): RM158

Following the remarks here, I contacted Dinex and this is their response:

"Firstly, many thanks for your e-mail.

Regarding the Routemaster exhaust system, this system is still included in our Bus catalogue, and the parts are held in our UK warehouse here in Warrington.

Based upon demand from time to time, there may sometimes be a delay in replacement of the parts back into stock, but as there is still a requirement, the system remains available.

I trust this answers your enquiry, but please do not hesitate to contact me again if you require further information.

Best Regards

Dinex Exhausts Ltd
Paul Valentine
Sales Manager"

My bus number (if any): RM1368

That's more or less the answer I got from my local factor. The parts we need are on 3 weeks back-order. The "other" roy got the same answer from the same factor.

Dinex have recently removed Regal IV exhausts from their catalogue!

If anyone needs an RT silencer, the RM one will fit though it's 2" longer.

My bus number (if any): RML2532