ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM 1653

A very extensive interior conversion was afforded to RM 1653 for a rather short lived promotion in 1984. I have a picture of the bus in `as withdrawn` condition at the AEC site taken on Sept 23 1983 and then the pictures below were also taken there on March 12 1985. In between these dates the bus went to Dolphin Displays near St.Albans to have the interior fitted out and then went to Egypt. I can`t remember if Dolphin also did the exterior repaint and lettering and I`m not sure who fitted an air filter so big that the bonnet only just closed over it! The person overseeing the preparation for the promotion asked me if I would like the job of driving it around Egypt! He actually asked several times hoping I would change my mind having said `no thanks`!

As regards what happened to the bus after returning to the UK and being temporarily at AEC, I can only go by Ian`s Bus Stop notes. But as can be seen from the pictures some damage happened whilst away and the red paint has quickly begun to show through the white in places.

Re: RM 1653

Hi Neil , I remember seeing this bus at Ward Jones yard back in the mid 90's and then again at Reading Mainline's depot, I believe Reading Mainline only used it as a source of spare parts for their other RM's .When I saw it at Ward's yard it didn't appear to be in that bad condition on the outside,but I can only imagine it wasn't mechanicly sound or why would Reading Mainline not have used it on their fleet,someone on the forum might know the reason for it being used as a spares doner,Adam Conner or Brian Liley used to work for them ,so if they read this post they may be able to enlighten us all!

My bus number (if any): none yet!

RM1653 was bought by Reading Mainline literally as a source of mechanical spares.

The interion had had severe cutting about as it was fited by chip fryers etc.

Although we had reverted the ex St Johns Ambulance bus back to being a bus it was felt that we just didnt have the time and the spare parts were of more use.

I eventually helped cut the bus up in the yard in Reading but the bus bit back when sparkes ignited the residue chip fat in the fryers... A member of the senior management was then seen running around the yard pretending to be a fire engine, sirens etc with a hose pipe in hand. 1653 finally bit the dust a few days later.

Andy

Hi Andy , where there any other RM's used as spares doner's at Reading Mainline,I seem to remember there being more than one (RM1653),help on this one would be most helpfull

My bus number (if any): none yet!