ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
camping bus

Camping bus conversion in Sussex

My bus number (if any): Rm471

Re: camping bus

Hi Chris , Do you happen to know the number of this particular RM , it looks to be in good shape

Regards

Jim Gilroy

My bus number (if any): none yet!

It is RM1878.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Hi Andrew , thanks for that info,it has had alot of work done on it last time I saw it was on a road run starting at scratchwood services,it was in a multi couloured livery and was a playbus,do you know if it still has it's Leyland engine in it?

Nice to see RM 1878 in red - again.
This was how it looked as it began life after LT. It was, as I recall, the first bus that Aldenham dealt with for the Sales Department that involved a repaint in to something other than red. A bit different and given that the bus was to be used as a mobile advert and available to ride on for customers of the Hyper- Hyper store in Kensington High street, it needed to be very different from LT red. These pictures were taken at the Sales Department site at the old AEC works moments after the bus was delivered there from Aldenham on July 24 1984.

This bus also figured in a road test by Commerical Motor who drove it all the home counties. It performed pretty well considering it was in 'as withdrawn' condition and had not been overhauled. I have a copy of the mag somewhere but can't find it at present. From memory I think it was the only bus type to exceed 10 miles per gallon that the mgazine had tested in recent times. I also think it was being advertised for sale at that time by Don Allmey who must have acquired it from Hyper Hyper. The object of the test was to alert operators to the benefits o f the Routemaster as a cheap reliable alternative to much more pricey buses on the secondhand market. The going rate for a serviceable Routemaster at that time - the late 1980s - direct from London Transport was around £7,000.

My bus number (if any): RM1001

Hi Mike ,if only Routemaster's with AEC engines were that price now,not 20k and upwards,hay ho!