ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ear problems

I've got an intermittent problem with my near side indicators. It is due to the front ear assembly. It is designed to flex forwards and backwards when subjected to pressure but naturally returns to the correct position, just like a human ear. My indicator on 471 only flashes when it is moved slightly back from the correct position. I'm going to have to sort this out and would be grateful for advice

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS 17

Re: Ear problems

Chris

When the Ear is moved backwards or forwards a center pin is rotated up on a cam and so breaks the circuit, it sounds like the contact points in the top of the indicator body must be weak or need to be bent up a little because they should only disengage when the Ear will not return to the correct position itself.

PARDON? Oh, wrong sort of ear problems!

Sounds like your do-nuts need replacing!! Lens unit shouldn't move too far at all.
Dave Simmons makes exceedingly good do-nuts!! Beware of others that are under size!!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961, M 271 and several RTs

Chris

Read your post again and i think i know what the problem could be.

The steel plates arrowed in the picture below will probably be causing the fault. If you (very) carefully remove the plastic carrier and turn it over you will see either a build-up of rust at the point where the contacts meet the plates or you will find small grooves caused by wobbly ears (worn do-nuts).

Obviously if its rust just clean off, if you have grooves you might be able to run some solder in there.

Watch out for the cir-clip that holds the plastic piece on, they can snap very easily!