ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RT Headlights

I'm sure someone will know the answer: How many different styles of headlight were fitted to RTs from 1939 on? Must be about four or five if the rim colour is included.

Pictures would be even better.

Re: RT Headlights

Certainly four types Roy, The RT2s and early post war RTs had a 8" light on the N/S with a similar 7" light on the O/S that was fitted to the RT2s after the war. The 7" version was fitted to both sides on the early post war RTs.

Then there was the cast aluminium lights with a heavy painted rim that has a fixing screw through it into the body of the headlight. These protrude quite a bit on the O/S fitting.

After that came the most common type with the chrome U shaped fixing band rather like a giant jubilee clip to hold the lens in and finally the RM type dipping headlights fitted to the O/S of Green Line RTs and then later to both sides for staff buses and trainers.

Fog lights on post war RTs seem to be mainly of the chromed rim type.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961, M 271 and several RTs

Thanks for that Brian. Was anything done to provide the Green Line RTs with more powerful lamps?

Not as far as I know Roy, remember on the other RTs the O/S headlight went out when "dipped". Difference between Green Line RTs and trainers and learners was the latter had a dipping headlight on both sides. Our light are not brilliant, but then we don't go very fast!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961, M 271 and several RTs