ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1983 - Thirty years ago

The recent discussion about 1984 has nudged a ROOF reader to send me this scanned image from a bus publication from 1983. 50 years of London Transport, 10 years of Cobham, North Weald Rally well established, new bus maps inaccurately laid out and full of mistakes, a 25% reduction in bus fares, 19 RMs cut up at Aldenham and two RMs sent to US & Canada on a promotional visit, unlikely ever to return.

http://www.rmoof.co.uk/1983.pdf

On a personal note, I see that one of my buses RM2213, was overhauled in 1983. I've just had to get the ageing B frame replaced and wonder if 1983 was the last time this was done?

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS 17

Re: 1983 - Thirty years ago

Hi Chris , RE RM2213 I remember driving this bus on a re-run of the 2b upto Crystal Palace,when it was owned by my friend Yogi,it was a wonderful bus to drive ,I havn't seen it in ages,are you planning to bring it out to any rally's this year?

My bus number (if any): none yet!

Chris Dobbing
The recent discussion about 1984 has nudged a ROOF reader to send me this scanned image from a bus publication from 1983. 50 years of London Transport, 10 years of Cobham, North Weald Rally well established, new bus maps inaccurately laid out and full of mistakes, a 25% reduction in bus fares, 19 RMs cut up at Aldenham and two RMs sent to US & Canada on a promotional visit, unlikely ever to return.

http://www.rmoof.co.uk/1983.pdf

On a personal note, I see that one of my buses RM2213, was overhauled in 1983. I've just had to get the ageing B frame replaced and wonder if 1983 was the last time this was done?

Probably the last time the B frame was inspected Chris was its last overhaul in March 1983. The springs and axle would have been changed and any work done that was required on the structure of the B frame. After that it would have been subject to an annual FFD test.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961, M 271 and several RTs

Chris, I see that 1699 is also included on the list of overhauls as well as 2213, so both vehicles were in good company! (1699 was out-shopped from its last overhaul in March 1983).

I'd be interested to hear where you had your B frame replaced. 1699's B Frame was changed at Tottenham Garage in 2001, but of course it's a good few years since they've carried out any further B frame work, having lost Routemasters in 2004.

My bus number (if any): RM1699, Eastbourne Regent V (KHC369) Eastbourne Regent III (AHC442)

Well, if we`re going to start a 1983 thread we should have a suitable picture!

RM 1983 progressed around all of the bus operating districts in the Summer of `83 and spent just a couple of weeks in most locations. Which basically meant that most garages had little interest in looking after it. In Cardinal District Stamford Brook got it to use on both the 27`s and 237`s and to be on display at the garage open day on June 3 - the same event at which Trolleybus 1768 had the mishap....

So Mortlake in its final weeks of operation didn`t get to use RM 1983 which makes this picture of it there on May 29 rather special. Paul A and I took it there for a thorough clean in preparation for the Stamford Brook open day and spent hours trying to make it presentable as nobody else appeared to have bothered in the weeks before. It was a strange colour depending on the light - gold through to an almost indescribable hue not helped by being so dirty. To this day Paul and I still laugh at the unexpected outburst of the Running Shift chap (pictured, talking to a conductor) who having made known his obvious dislike of this `one off` livery - in language too inappropriate to recall here - likened the colour to the contents of a babies nappy! Not a lot you can say to that!

Hi Neil, for what it's worth I don't think RM1983's livery is that bad,I've seen alot worse coulour's on an RM,the worst one I can remember was RM429's bright yellow livery when it was with Capital Citybus

Jim Gilroy
Hi Neil, for what it's worth I don't think RM1983's livery is that bad,I've seen a lot worse colour's on an RM,the worst one I can remember was RM429's bright yellow livery when it was with Capital Citybus

RM1983 ended up in an even WORSE fleet livery when it was painted two-tone blue with a yellow front after Kelvin Scottish purchased it in 1986.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Alan

Hi Graham , much like RM1983's livery ,I didn't think Kelvin Scottish's livery was at all bad,when I went up to the 2 day open day at Lathalmond in August 2012,I was lucky enough to have a ride on RM910 to Dumfirmline,it was especialy well turned out,a credit to the owner and the Busworks that did the paintjob on it,there are so few RM's left in preservation that were used in Scotland,the only ones in Scottish livery's are RM560 (Alexander Midland Blue livery) RM835 (in Clydeside livery),RM910 (in Kelvin Scottsh livery),RM978 (open-top and in fadded Clydeside livery)and RM1607 (in original Stagecoach stripes livery). I've allways liked RM's in livery's other than LT red,gives a bigger picture of RM's once they had left london,I would love to see a RM/RML in Strathtay Scottish,Shoplinker livery,CMS Carlise,United counties,East yorkshire and BTS livery,what are anyone else's thought's on alternative RM livery's