ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RML2403

RML2403

I bought the ‘Remains’ of RML2403 a while ago. As much as I would like to put it back on the road, the agreement when purchased, or should I say ‘Condition of Sale’ was that I bought it for parts, the previous owners insist that it must be scrapped.
It’s in far better condition than the last few buses I have bought for rebuilding, and would be an easy fix, but there you go.
As far as I am aware the bus was in perfect working order until it was robbed for spares. I think that it was last used in 2003. It has been under cover in a garage ever since so the body/paintwork is ok. The Iveco engine has had the front rocker shaft removed for another bus, other than that it looks fine (it turns over)
I will need some parts for my projects, but I will have a number of spares available soon. Below is a list of spares that I think will become available when I strip the bus down. I am sure that it will yield many more parts than I have listed.
If you are interested in any parts, please email me and let me know.

I have also put a few photos on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30266527@N02/sets/72157632559998587/

Item
Iveco Engine c/w starter, alt, inj pump etc
Fluid Flywheel
Gearbox
Compressor
Rear Diff
Prop Shafts (looks new)
Short prop
Centre prop Bearing
Offside Driveshaft
Wheels and tyres 900 x 20
B Frame (excellent condition)
A Frame
Axle tube
Dome, ali and fibreshield
Roof
Cushions and Squabs
Seat Frames
Seat Brackets
Transmatic Lighting
Windows pans and glass
Fuel Tank
Staircase
Nearside Front Wing
Refurb Heaters
Silencer Assy
Cat
Used Ticket Box
Battery Crate
Air Tank and valves
Handbrake Ratchet and Pawl
Handbrake assy
Drivers seat complete
Rear window c/w glass
Boat c/w Kingposts etc

Electric box
n/s advert panel front
o/s advert panel front
Rad
Lower drivers window
Lower saloon grab handles
Upper saloon front coving panels
Front destination panel
Front destination panel inner
n/s advert panel rear
o/s advert panel rear
side destination assy
rear destination assy
Front corner (driver)
Inner ceiling panels strapping
Coving both saloons
Rear Dome
inner rear dome (in 2)
Gearbox trap
Flywheel cover
Cab front
Front Springs (look New)
Front Shocks (look New)
Rear Springs
Rear Shocks (look New)
B Frame Rubbers
Front drums and brakes
Rear Drums and Brakes
Front Bulkhead
Centre Advert panel lower saloon
Rear Platform
Platform Pole (yellow)
Speed Transducer
Isolator Switch

Regards

Rob

My bus number (if any): RML2355

Re: RML2403

Without disclosing the legal why's and wherefores,Rob,how come this vehicle can't be returned to the road ?

hi rob
shame about this just sent you second email for parts

My bus number (if any): RCL 2238,RM,RF

It is a shame about this bus.i tried to buy this bus a few years ago and was told the same.that it was a doner bus for parts for rm5 not that they used many parts.it was givin to arriva only on the basis that it would never see the road again.which is really bad because to be honest it is a really good bus.if its true a museum gave it to arriva .good museum.there are plenty of worse buses they could have used.

It is somewhat amazing, however we have to except the wishes of the previous owner. This does mean that other vehicles can stay on the road. Much as has happened in the past with buses going to Barnsley etc, and will keep happening i'm afraid. You can't save everything..

My bus number (if any): RM158

It appears to have been donated by TfL to the LT Museum, who sold it to Arriva for spares.

If Rob bought it on the condition it was for spares not much can be done.

Seems a shame if basically a sound bus but if dismantled it will no doubt keep a large number of others up to scratch.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961, M 271 and several RTs

I don't think any of these conditions hold any binding once sold on unless there was a legal document presented and signed. Nor will it be in perpetuity.

Look what film companies have done to vehicles that have been sold with just such preconditions on retaining their original condition and how many preserved buses have been sold on the basis of ongoing preservation only to be completely hacked about is some sort of conversion.

I wuld sit tight with it or change it's identity for a decade!

Not the same at all as buses sold with a condition of being kept in preservation. The condition on this sale would be legally binding particularly if the price paid was significantly below that of a bus for further use.

LT has such contracts with Wombwell and PVS, the price differential being between the buses sold to be scrapped (ie scrap metal content) and those sold to others as runners.

I'd suggest there's enough preserved RMs around at the moment. As Brian says, we can't preserve everything! Certain parts are already very difcult to get, so any donor vehicles are welcome just if it means keepeing one other bus on the road.

Hi Rob ,it's such a shame that a perfectly good RML has to go for scrap,It puzzles me that a previous owner sould put a stipulation of sale on it.still at least with all those spare parts at least it will keep others on the road and may finnish off ongoing restoration's for people.

My bus number (if any): none yet!

This looks like a far more appealing prospect than crawling round in the mud and snow at Pvs..!

I'll email you a list, Rob..

My bus number (if any): 1842

I always thought that was the fun bit about going to pvs.rain mud snow.

My bus number (if any): 1083

There isn't any mud at PVS, it's been concreted for years. Problem with getting to parts on the RMs is they are packed together and access down the back is difficult, and few have staircases left.

You really need to go with someone, no cars are allowed on the site, so all tool boxes and then parts etc have to be carried. As I posted earlier, if what I was told by PVS is true, the RMs will be gone before the end of the year.