ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rubber parts

I discovered an initially worrying problem this morning when I was looking under the front of 2302. I noticed that what looks like a round rubber ring seal at the back of the offside suspension wishbone had perished and split and was hanging down. It is on the front inner bearing and looks to be about 3 inches in diameter. I imagine this protects the inner bearing from dirt and dust so it's not a good thing to be damaged but not actually unsafe at least at present (unless anyone knows better?).

It looks a complicated job to replace (again unless anyone knows better?!) but more importantly presumably it's a part that's no longer available. If not does anyone know how I could set about getting a replacement made or if there is an alternative solution? I've noticed that the suspension parts have quite a few rubber bushes/seals - has anyone any thoughts on how they could be replaced in future please because it strikes me that this could be potential problem for all of us.

My bus number (if any): RM2302

Re: Rubber parts

Not sure what this is but many rubber components on Routemasters are metalastic components.
Metalastic is basically a bonded rubber and metal component commonly used for engine mounts, gearbox mounts and suspension components and are designed to absorb vibrations and allow flexibility.

Other rubber components can be rubber bushed and seals.

Replacement rubber components can be fairly inexpensive to reproduce but in some applications have to be of the highest quality to meet the parameters of the intended application.

Over the last decade, rubber repro parts have often been way below that standard with failure and short life being very common.

On cars, innovation in current rubber parts has led to retro fitting on older and classic models with silicone based bushed and components. IN the case of suspension parts, silicone bushed exceed the original equipment specifications bringing about better handling and performance, hugely extended life of the parts and decreased wear and tear.

Silicon base bushes are now into a second generation of manufacture and are now more vesatile and much cheaper in cost.

Metalastic components are now also much improved but batch production is dearer but probably something that may well be due for RM owners

Thank you Jack - that's interesting. I don't think it is a Metalastik part, just rubber. Sounds as if it would be best to get a silicone replacement. I can't think I am the only owner whose bus has this problem - I suspect I should check the other side - no doubt fallen out long ago....! I will try to get a photograph.

My bus number (if any): RM2302

The dirt seal for one of the wishbone cones? If you imagine a capital letter A,
it is found where the horizontal leg meets the angled upright, with the lip facing the upright. Remove it carefully, clean the area and fill the gap with silicone bath sealant or glue it back in place with the sealant. If you can find a replacement, it will be a lovely job to replace and you will probably find that the effort involved merits a much bigger renewals undertaking.

It's great fun replacing the wishbone buses, involving large hammers, gas axe, large spanners, and much bad language. The bushes were still available a couple of years ago. I have the DAF part number, but according to Ward Jones, they're now on a Volvo number.