ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Weight of AV590 Engine

I wondered if anyone knew the weight of an AEC AV590 engine. I have to move my spare engine to another location and need to know whether the tail-lift of the lorry that I'm hiring will take the weight (limit is up to 1 ton). I'm fairly certain that the engine is less than 1 ton but don't want to take any chances!

My bus number (if any): RM1699, Eastbourne Regent V (KHC369) Eastbourne Regent III (AHC442)

Re: Weight of AV590 Engine

Is it a 1 ton or a 1 tonne tail lift?

Just under 18 cwt. Add on 1.5 cwt for a pallet or a stillage and a pump truck and you won't be able to stand on the platform yourself. You will however really struggle to move this on and off a conventional pillar type tail lift with a pallet truck.There simply isn't much room. A fold down (underslung) tail lift will have more platform area and will also tilt to allow an easier roll on. I assume that you are hiring a self drive 7.5 tonne box van since you said lorry rather than Transit. If this is the only item of any significant weight carried it will need to be in the middle laterally and regardless of position thoroughly secured to the vehicle with proper ratchet straps (spansets). A one ton lump can easily put you in the ditch if it moves!If using a Transit it will overload the front axle if up against the headboard so you will need some dunnage.

1 ton is a lot of weight to move on a pallet truck even with the knack.