ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Haynes Manual - new version?

On Ebay and Amazon you can now buy HAYNES ROUTEMASTER BUS OWNERS' WORKSHOP MANUAL.

Is this a new book or just a re-title of the original "Enthusiasts'Manual"? Haynes number is strangely the same

If it is the former then it no doubt follows the other Haynes "Workshop Manuals" describing in full all aspects of maintenance and repair of an RM and will be a cheaper reference than the Walkers guide.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961, M 271 and several RTs

Re: Haynes Manual - new version?

I think it is probably the enthusiasts manual and not correctly described by the vendors. But you are right the illustration does show a different cover title.

I do believe the Haynes Enthusiasts manual is going to a second edition with a few updates and changes.
Maybe the second edition is going to be a whole lot more.

Other more fantasy based or enthusiast Haynes Manuals are referred to using the iconic Haynes format as Owner's Workshop Manuals like the Tiger Moth, Spitfire and Starship Enterprise!

Unusually, the Routemaster Manual was called an Enthusiasts manual and not a workshop manual but in the same style.
I don't think too many have noticed the subtle difference!

A proper full Haynes style workshop manual would be huge and far too expensive to produce in small volumes.

The Easy bit would be the LT era but after that so many local mods, external refurbs and different drive trains will make the addendum section the biggest bit!

It does fill the gap between a straightforward compendium of pictures and the Walker manual.
If only all the images and data compiled for it could be included but it would probably run to 3 or 4 volumes.

The vendors are calling it what it says on the front page. Hence the question, is it a new book!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haynes-Owners-Workshop-Routemaster-Handbook/dp/B0082ORHDO

It is still available on Amazon; see - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Routemaster-Bus-Manual-Maintaining-Operating/dp/1844259382/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365014725&sr=1-1

My bus number (if any): RM1368

It's not the enthusiasts guide that the query is about!

If you at the link I posted that refers to a Workshop Manual by you and not the previous enthusiast's version. So is the "Workshop Manual" a new book as it purports to be or a re-branding of the old one?

Both versions appear to have the same Haynes reference H4938 - Perhaps - good as it is, the title was changed to 'Enthusiasts Manual' - as it isn't a true workshop manual - ie. stripping down of component instructions etc. as it was never meant to be ?

I'm sure Andrew can confirm.

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

Graham Brown
Both versions appear to have the same Haynes reference H4938 - Perhaps - good as it is, the title was changed to 'Enthusiasts Manual' - as it isn't a true workshop manual - ie. stripping down of component instructions etc. as it was never meant to be ?

I'm sure Andrew can confirm.

It's the other way round Graham. The latest book is called the Workshop Manual, which is why I asked the question about its content.

Then over to you Andrew M - have you written a more detailed workshop version lately ?

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

It has always been called the "enthusiasts' manual". Anyone who has a Haynes Routemaster Workshop Manual has a rare limited edition that I have not seen (!!) and has never been produced.

As Mark correctly states, if a Haynes Workshop Manual had been written, then it would have been much larger in size and totally unaffordable to Haynes to produce and for everyone to buy. And that is why it was always an "enthusiasts' manual".

However, the story does not quite stop there. Haynes did produce two front cover designs and both are seen quite reguarly. It is this which Amazon have become very confused about, and has puzzled everyone on this thread as well.

So sorry, there is only one book, although two different cover designs.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

There 12 for sale on Ebay at the moment ( search Routemaster Haynes).

Of the 12 only 3 are Enthusiasts Manuals, the other 9 are all Workshop Manuals!

Well, you can't get much better information than straight from the author's (computerised) mouth! Well done and thank you Andrew (and Mark) for producing such an enjoyable and informative book - it's a cracker!

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Well, I would be surprised if anyone got a copy with the ' Workshop repair manual' cover.

I think the vendors have probably lifted the cover from a third party.

I would ask if that cover is the actual cover of the book being sold.

If it is I may well be a very rare collectors item after all look how much people are prepared to pay for the RT story!

Mark, are you seriously suggesting that 9 sellers of Haynes manuals have mocked up a cover independently of each other? Did you actually look at the Ebay stuff?

Some people seem to be missing the point here whether or not it's a "good book" Haynes appear to have taken a liberty with a new title and cover, and from the Amazon reviews it seems people are being led to believe it is a new book and a workshop manual and are buying it eg John Morris who posts on the " other channel".

Anyone thought to check the 'Do you do a manual for.....' service haynes have? (manualenquiry@haynes.co.uk) - http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContactView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001

Their own website only has two referances for the word routemaster, the Entusiasts Manual and the Routemaster Association Website.

A possible source for the image is...
you can pitch new manuals to haynes, and with that they like mocked up covers,
one of these covers for a possible new Routemaster manual, may have made its way onto the net, as for ebay and amazon seller, they are lazy, who wants the effort of going and taking a photo of a product in good light, proportions and resizing it when you can simply right click and save from another website, they have clearly used google image to find the picture. Using the first picture that comes up! you see it all the time, same pictures - ebay even has a 'sell one like this' feature that copies someone else listing and you just edit it to suit what you want to say!

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (also known as RCN701)

Matt Hart
Anyone thought to check the 'Do you do a manual for.....' service haynes have? (manualenquiry@haynes.co.uk) - http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContactView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001

Using the first picture that comes up! you see it all the time, same pictures - ebay even has a 'sell one like this' feature that copies someone else listing and you just edit it to suit what you want to say!

No I did a google and an Ebay search! You can't use other people's photos if you use the sell one like this feature on Ebay.

So you think someone mocked up a cover and all these lazy sellers are using it, despite the Workshop Manual having a different ISBN number? You can buy it here
http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/21086687/693928378/Routemaster-Bus-Manual/ListingDetails.html?_%24ja=tsid:13315|cat:21086687|prd:21086687&ef_id=UQxVpAAAHBHc@FPQ:20130411075840:s or maybe you can't. Amazon now have no stock!