ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
London Metrobus height

There is a possibility that RM967's owner Tom may be buying a former London Metrobus, one of the (KYV-X) batch to convert into a mobile home and tour Europe in. I used to drive Alexander R-bodied Metrobuses new to Midland Scottish which were 14'6 in height. My question is: are the Park Royal-bodied London MBs any lower as Tom would have to be extra vigilant with low bridges over there, particularly the Motorways? I'm sure this is one that Brian Watkinson or M1001's owner David Colin could help me with.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Allan

Re: London Metrobus height

Or I could help too!
LT Metrobuses are 14`6". An RM is actually about 14`4" and at Mortlake these could pass beneath all the roof support girders. But, just like the instance I mentioned on here a while back concerning the Trolleybus that hit the lintel on entering Stamford Brook, it was easy to be complacent and assume every double deck was the same height. On just tick over, thankfully, and with no visible damage, I caught the roof of brand new M500 on a girder at Mortlake that RMs went under. The Metrobuses came from MCW at Washwood Heath, Birmingham - not Park Royal.

Neil G
Or I could help too!
LT Metrobuses are 14`6". An RM is actually about 14`4" and at Mortlake these could pass beneath all the roof support girders. But, just like the instance I mentioned on here a while back concerning the Trolleybus that hit the lintel on entering Stamford Brook, it was easy to be complacent and assume every double deck was the same height. On just tick over, thankfully, and with no visible damage, I caught the roof of brand new M500 on a girder at Mortlake that RMs went under. The Metrobuses came from MCW at Washwood Heath, Birmingham - not Park Royal.

Thanks Neil, I was getting confused with the earlier Titans which had Park Royal bodies.I'll pass that info onto him.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Allan

Titans didn't have Park Royal bodies either, try Atlanteans.

All details of MCW Metrobuses are here,

http://www.mcwmetrobus.org.uk/techspec.pdf

Because of the airbag lift Metrobuses should not be taken under any bridges marked less than 4m 4, the standard height in Europe is 4 metres, but trees are the biggest problem. Due to bus height, travel in Germany would be particularly difficult.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961, M 271 and several RTs

Rare slip up there, Brian, regarding the early Park Royal Titans.......

Your pal would be better off buying an ECW low-height Olympian; on low profile tyres and tweak the air suspension down a bit you can get them down to 4m, just about! They tend to be a bit quicker than Metrobuses as well.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 GS67 BEA MLL721 BEA MLL738 RT2629

Neil G
Rare slip up there, Brian, regarding the early Park Royal Titans.......
Yes forgot about the PRV built ones under Leyland's ownership. According to Dick Smith it seems a lot of PRV made parts went into a lot of the next batch (T 250-) and it was the Titans that saw the demise of PRV.

Having spent the last thee days working on a Metrobus, I hope the Titans were better designed and built than the Ms, which were certainly not designed with maintenance and overhaul in mind!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961, M 271 and several RTs

LOL, no not really! Both much of a muchness when it comes to repair and overhaul.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 GS67 BEA MLL721 BEA MLL738 RT2629