ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Used ticket box colour

Browsing through my photo collection, I found an official LT photo of RM121 which does not have the ticket box painted black; I'd say it's red. In the same collection, an official pic of RM1923 with illuminated ad panel has a black ticket box.

Any idea what numbers had red ticket boxes? when were they painted black?

My bus number (if any): RML2532 GS67 BEA MLL721 BEA MLL738 RT2629

Re: Used ticket box colour

I thought I knew this but just checked Ken Blackers book 'Routemaster' to refresh the grey matter.

The last three pre production RMLs, 901 - 903 were delivered with Black ticket boxes. These were also the first vehicles with GRP painted exterior panels.
RMs constructed during this period ranged from RM865 to RM 1084 so it's possible that RM1085 was the first.
But unless I've misses a paragraph somewhere there's no other detail.

But timewise it must have been between November 1961 and January 1962.

RM1064 onwards, or so its says in the Haynes Manual (page 92).

Sorry - I could not resist the advert.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Ah! Will that be p.92 of the Enthusiasts manual or p.92 of the Workshop manual? ???