ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Laced glazing tool needed urgently

We are changing the glass on one of our Metrobuses, but the laced glazing strip used on the newest of the window " gaskets" has a lace that is considerably bigger than the one used on the other windows ( maybe a modification) and it is too fat for the glazing tool I have.

The one I have is an LT issue and has changeable heads, but I don't have the larger size used for windscreens on DMSs and Ms and Ts

Is there anyone who could lend me such a tool to do this work or suggest where I can buy one? All expenses paid for post etc

Thanks in advance

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961, M 271 and several RTs

Re: Laced glazing tool needed urgently

you can get them from COH Baines at Tunbridge Wells, they're not too dear and have a variety of ends.

you can download their catalogue online, the glazing tool is somewhere near the back.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 GS67 BEA MLL721 BEA MLL738 RT2629

Hello Brian,

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1022-universal-fitting-tool.aspx

I can pop in and pick one up for you and post it to France if Woolies aren't helpful.

Cheers, Chris

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS 7

Why didn't I think of Woolies! Thanks Chris and Roy,

I'll contact Woolies in the morning we have an account with them!, and they post direct to us in France.

Hi Brian,

PSV Glass also supply them..

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Andy. The immediate crisis is over as I can get 10mm lace from Woolies and that is the size of the ex LT tools I have.

The window gaskets on M 271 appear to be the same section but the newer ones have a larger maybe 12mm lace that is normally found in windscreens, older ones have 10 mm and that is very brittle and broke when getting it out, perhaps 10mm was replaced by 12mm in all glazing?.

PSV glass haven't mentioned they supply tools, I was asking Dave Reynolds today how they got the last corner in the Metrobus gasket without putting too much pressure on the edge of the glass which is its weakest point. I'll mention it when I talk to him again on Monday