ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RF Window Pans

Hi everyone, probably akin to looking for a needle in the proverbial haystack but does anyone know a source of RF window pans? Would be nice if they had glass and winding gear attached but I appreciate that is bordering on the impossible!! Has anyone any suggestions - any help much appreciated!

My bus number (if any): RF308

Re: RF Window Pans

I don't think you'll have much luck finding any decent window pans for RFs. The few I've broken up over the years have all been totally rotten and I actually need a few for one of my BEA's.

I may have one or two spare winders. Glass you'll have to have made though.

I have a spare small window pan for each side, the D shape windows and rear roof domes, rear destination box, front panels and a few more body bits, body pillars (new) and a used back emergency door if that's any help. Oh, and some of the chunky side beading.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 GS67 BEA MLL721 BEA MLL738 RT2629

If there is enough interest it may be worth while getting a batch made, the fabricators that make the RT pans would be able to fabricate RF ones.The cost would be approx £120.00 each.

Regards

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM13

Rob

The window pans required don't have the usual channel for the rubber, i think they are a similar design to RTW pans - ie "Z" profile with filler-strip type rubber, could that bring the price down a bit?

Regards.....

Thanks for the advice given folks! As Dave says, these pans are not the usual! What would be the minimum quantity required Rob to make such an order viable?

From the RTW335 Blog

http://rtw335.blogspot.co.uk/

A window pan - at last!
After several false starts, not to mention the mileage travelled by some of the corroded RTW window pans around potential suppliers, I think we now have a template for RTW335. The window pans, which differ from standard RT pans because of the Leyland bodywork on RTWs, have proved to be a stumbling block in the restoration project. All the originals were fabricated in steel and were severely corroded. Several suppliers of replacement steel window pans have been attempted, but either the finished result has not been accurate enough or the small production run has meant that costs would be prohibitive.
As an alternative, my good friend Nigel Powton who is now managing the RTW restoration project, arranged for all the original RTW pans to be returned to Blackpool and from the assorted originals, a local fibreglass company has fabricated a standard non-opening window pan in fibreglass. This will be used to check the critical tolerances between glazing, rubber and the interior window cappings. If it fits - then we can go into production at last!

£120 is too much money to fabricate a window pan then! So the idea then is that someone pays for the privilege of being graced with being given the job.

Big boy's toys mean big boy's bills. That or get a Matchbox version.

GRP is rarely accurate enough when replicating a panel. The critical thickness is not the same for the strength required.

I don't know why LT never switched to alloy window pans as they were tooled up to do RM pans.
However steel is much stronger when combined with wood framework holding better torsion.

Why not have steel frames galvanised? or zinc powdercoated. It should take more than an age for corrosion to take root. Remember, LT stopped using lead on panels in the 1950's and anti corrosion coatings were not all that great.

========================

RF windows use the same rubber as RTs and the BEA 4RF4, except on the rear door which ISTR uses a Claytonrite design with filler strip. the RTW uses a larger section Claytonrite with filler strip. I've sen this design used on an RT restoration in Germany. It doesn't look right to a trained eye, but it works.

I'd already mentioned to Rob about doing some RF pans and £120 seems reasonable to me.

RF front screens use Claytonrite rubber with interior lip.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 GS67 BEA MLL721 BEA MLL738 RT2629

LT didn't change to steel window pans for RTs as they were rarely a problem and were not replaced in large numbers. Most of the window pans on our buses are the originals with grey blue primer, particularly on the upper decks

When the RTs were coming to their projected end, Aldenham did "final" overhauls, in 1965 this was on the Saunders and early RT3/1 bodies with no heaters. Bodges or "Provisional Repair Schemes as LT called them, included plonk on window valences and patch plates fitted to the bottom corners and the bottom edge on window pans where corrosion was showing instead of changing the window pans as happened with non final overhauls.

As time has gone on and vehicles have more and more been kept outdoors the problem of corroded pans has become a major concern. When we get any opportunity to get at the rear of window pans we apply a rust curer and preventer.

You can reduce costs by cutting and shutting fixed pans as the tops are rarely poor and one good one can be made from two with corroded bottom halves. We are also making 2 good cab window pans from 4 badly rusted ones that way.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961, M 271 and several RTs

I would suggest that GRP window pans would not have the accuracy or strength to take the RT/RF type window rubber. That stuff does take a bit of "heaving" and persuasion to get in place. GRP seems ok for MCW/ECW type windows that use Claytonrite type rubber that fits on the edge of the panel.

GRP window pans have been tried and were fitted to the Sandtoft RT 3323. Not sure if they were retained,or successful. I'll ask John Sherllard

roythebus
RF windows use the same rubber as RTs and the BEA 4RF4, except on the rear door which ISTR uses a Claytonrite design with filler strip. the RTW uses a larger section Claytonrite with filler strip. I've sen this design used on an RT restoration in Germany. It doesn't look right to a trained eye, but it works.

I'd already mentioned to Rob about doing some RF pans and £120 seems reasonable to me.

RF front screens use Claytonrite rubber with interior lip.

Not on RF308, i found a picture of 308 taken while we were doing some repairs a few years ago - you can see the claytonrite rubber on the window to the left. I was told these were trialed on a few buses and they were geared to wind faster (i think) but it wasn't successful. Its a shame because they would be easier to repair compared to standard pans.

Well you learn something every day doncha! You might just get away with GRP pans on that basis.

I actually think that £120 per pan is VERY reasonable. My problem is making sure I get the right ones! Must admit not convinced about fibre glass though!

Brian Watkinson
GRP window pans have been tried and were fitted to the Sandtoft RT 3323. Not sure if they were retained,or successful. I'll ask John Shellard

RT 3323 didn't have GRP pans in the end, they "cut and shut" some old ones using good tops or bottoms the same as we do.