ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Routemaster Crash in Northern Ireland

Shocking news of a RM that has overturned and crashed into a field today...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22229753

Lets hope all the passengers and crew are not too seriously hurt.

My bus number (if any): RM765 and RM548

Re: Routemaster Crash in Northern Ireland

Looks like City Sightseeing Belfast's RML 2342, unless they have another RM/L.

http://belfastcitysightseeing.com/?p=485

Appears to have been no serious injuries.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961, M 271 and several RTs

Not good
it a good job its a operator with a O licence or someone would be going to Jail.
I hope all will be OK

http://www.u.tv/news/Investigation-into-wedding-bus-crash/1644eb13-5b16-4e0e-8374-589f2f7a62e9

http://news.sky.com/story/1080782/wedding-bus-crash-in-lisburn-hurts-14

Martin

My bus number (if any): RML2583

I just hope this is not "the crash" we've been waiting for, due to mechanical failure or negelecting to repair something. If that is the case, there ould be far-reaching repurcussions for the whole of the heritage bus "industry" and hobby.

I won't speculate on the cause, it's not worth the time as I wasn't there to see it happen.

Gets me wondering how many other RMs have turned over? ISTR a Metroline bus left the A40 a few years back and suffered some roof damage.

This is testing the memory but wasn`t there a serious incident involving RM 1879 on the 49`s in South Kensington in the summer of 1978 or 1979. Overturned after being hit side on by a fire engine on an emergency call. I`ve got a press cutting about it somewhere. ISTR that the repair made the bus unique in that the `speed winding` o/s u/d window used to feed the hoover pipe through was replaced by a fixed pane and the next bay to it got by mistake the one as described instead. And I wouldn`t mind betting that I`ve got a picture of it somewhere! If I have I`ll send it to be put on disc to put on here....

Maybe, but I was wondering about about those that had tipped over by not being hit by other vehicles.

There has been at least two RTs that have tipped over after going down a roadside ditch,

One was RT 22 on route 93 which was scrapped after, the other was a private hire " coast bus" but that didn't fall over completely.

It appears the RML in N Ireland may have caught the edge of a ditch, any suggestion of mechanical failure is just speculation.

Brian Watkinson
There has been at least two RTs that have tipped over after going down a roadside ditch,

One was RT 22 on route 93 which was scrapped after, the other was a private hire " coast bus" but that didn't fall over completely.

It appears the RML in N Ireland may have caught the edge of a ditch, any suggestion of mechanical failure is just speculation.
Yes, I was trying to avoid the speculation on the cause of the incident.

Side swiped by a horsebox was what we were told

Steve

The private hire RT referred to by Brian was probably the one I saw tipped over into a ditch at Elmstead Market just the other side of Colchester while on a day trip to Clacton. I came across it while driving by. It lay at a 45 degree angle. I didn't stop so don't know how many were injured or the extent of the damage. It was many years ago and I can't remember the date. Nor did I note the bonnet number. Sorry to be so vague!

My bus number (if any): RM1001

Steve Newman
Side swiped by a horsebox was what we were told

Steve
That's one bit of good news I suppose. Not maintenance related.

I gather it was forced of the road a bit and the verge was very soft with a fall to a ditch. The bus sunk into the verge and slowly toppled into the shallow ditch.

I recall that country Routemasters had a simple marker device fitted to the nearside wing to allow drivers on similar roads a clear idea where the soft verge might be so they don's come a cropper when passing in small lanes.

Might be prudent to fit them on vehicles on hire duties where roads may not be so familiar

Not sure a kerb guide would be of any use if there was no room to pass.

LT tried kerb guides (a coiled spring with a ball on the top), in the 400 series Hanwell (HL) RMs for the 207 and 255 which only lasted a month at HL before moving to Highgate when manual gearboxes were tried at Hanwell on a completely new batch of buses. I think some of HT's RMs on the 271 also had them fitted from new.

The thinking being the bonnet and wing obscured the line of the kerb, they never caught on and were removed. They were used on RMs going abroad, and as Jack says LCBS fitted them to a number of their RMLs but they were removed when they returned to LT service and were never universally fitted.

As regards LCBS, wasn`t it just Godstone Garage that had those `kerb guides` fitted to their Routemasters? Having just looked at some photo`s I took there in November 1972 the f/n/s wing of RML 2333 doesn`t have one but RCL 2237 does. They were never fitted to the RMC`s at HF, SV and WY that I went to school on and I`m fairly sure that RML`s at GR didn`t have them either.

Neil G
As regards LCBS, wasn`t it just Godstone Garage that had those `kerb guides` fitted to their Routemasters? Having just looked at some photo`s I took there in November 1972 the f/n/s wing of RML 2333 doesn`t have one but RCL 2237 does. They were never fitted to the RMC`s at HF, SV and WY that I went to school on and I`m fairly sure that RML`s at GR didn`t have them either.

I have photos of LCBS RMLs from the following garages with kerb guides fitted. HA, NF, ST, WR, RG HE and one from GR, although most GR buses didn't seem to have them, on the other hand most NF buses did, RML 2323 was an exception, only RCL I have with one is 2237..