ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Original Colours of RML2719

Good Evening,

We have finally got around to respraying 2719 both inside and out. We seem to have an issue with the ceilings on both the bottom and top saloons. Firstly can anyone please give me an official paint code for Sung Yellow? Also we are trying to get her as close to she would have been when she came off the production line. Was the ceilings both Sung Yellow, or was it a different colour on the bottom saloon.

If anyone could give me a correct colour combination with the paint codes, i would be extremely grateful

Kind regards

Chris

My bus number (if any): RML 2719

Re: Original Colours of RML2719

I don`t have a paint code to hand but in trying to cast my memory back to 1973/4 when I worked on RML`s at Tottenham that had not (at that point) had their first overhaul, I`m fairly sure that the last few RML`s had white lower deck ceilings from new. We had 2662/3/4 and 2716 of which the latter was white but I don`t think the others were. White became fairly common for lower deck ceilings on RMs and RMLs from about 1975 but Sung Yellow was always in the majority. Also in 1975 three RML`s were out-shopped from Aldenham with white ceilings on both decks plus grey side walls instead of burgundy and the DMS style seat moquette. We had one of these at Tottenham (2678) and it looked so very different!

Re: Original Colours of RML2719

We had a lot of 'F' registered RMLs at Hanwell and I just remember them when they were new in 1968.

They had quite a few small modifications compared to the RMs. Externally, the front wings and the full depth grille with number plate no longer enclosed on the grille panel but mounted to the actual radiator, full cant rail band full double dip headlights on both.

They looked a bit drab compared to the RMs and it was the minor decor changes.

The upper deck remained Sung Yellow to hide the nicotine as smoking was permitted on the top deck.

But the lower deck had off white. The same colour as the Merlins that arrived shortly after the last batch of RMLs. and the same as DMS types

They also lacked the herzim alloy trim with the burgundy insert above the windows which was now a painted strip of alloy beading on all RMLs apart from the pre production RMLs. There was less use of Rexine as well with burgundy paint used on some panels instead.